Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Power of "The List"

I have never really questioned my need to make lists of things to do. Lists seem practical enough. They keep me organized, on time and on task. To me, a list is really a set of goals I want to accomplish and each check mark or crossed off item brings me one to-do closer to my end goal: Be productive.

I'm finding more and more that I really like crossing items off my lists or putting a check mark next to completed tasks (my usual mark). In fact, I get antsy with anticipation of making a permanent check mark beside the items on my list. It's strange, but true.

Carrie has really made me think about all the lists I make and, undoubtedly, made me realize that I am definitely not alone with my crazy list-making behavior. What's funny is that Carrie talked about her list of lists. Here is my list of lists:
  1. Wedding
  2. Camping
  3. June bills
  4. Home improvement projects
Carrie asked us to make a list of things we need to do this Memorial Day weekend, so here is my three-day weekend list with today's tasks mixed in:
  1. Buy assigned food/beverages for camping - there is also a list of these items on a Post-It in my planner
  2. Get passport photos taken
  3. Drop passport applications off at the post office
  4. Go to the eye doctor
  5. Pack for camping
  6. Clean the house
  7. Bathe the dogs
  8. Arrive at Hocking Hills campground, unpack, and set up tent
  9. Go ca-brewing
  10. Relax!

1 comment:

About Me said...

LOVE it! I love lists and I love the feeling you get when you start crossing them off too! It's such a treat. Enjoy your weekend, Holly!
xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...