Friday, May 15, 2009

Serendipity

This afternoon I saw an older couple riding electric power chairs down the sidewalk near my office and I almost cried (tears of joy, of course). It was the sweetest thing. I wish I had taken a picture of it.

It made me realize that our bodies may age, but our love never does. I thought of Shawn and how in a few short months we will vow to be together for the rest of our lives, come rain, shine, or power chairs.

I've always wondered if, as people age, do they still see their husbands and wives and partners the same way as the day they fell in love with them all those years ago? I'm talking about physical attributes. When I'm 70 with wrinkles permanently settled around my eyes and on my forehead, will Shawn still see the 25-year-old woman he married? Do my grandparents still see each other as the beautiful, young couple in the picture on the poster-sized card from their 40th wedding anniversary?

My thought is I think that no matter what our physical features morph into over time, we'll still be Holly and Shawn. At some point, my boobs will sag and his hair will turn white, but we fell in love for more reasons that looks. Many more. But I guess if we think each other is ugly in 50 years, there's always implants, face lifts, and Just for Men.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...