Monday, August 17, 2009

The Honeymoon Isn't Over (and won't be for awhile)

Sorry fellas, I'm a married woman! On August 8, 2009 I officially went off the market and became a Mrs. The Mr. and I couldn't have asked for a better wedding day. The venues, the people, the weather, the "I do's", the butterflies that attacked my stomach as the music started...I loved it all. And other than a minor glitch in the scheduled hair appointment time, the entire day went off without a hitch.

You can see photos from our BIG day here: http://gerheart.zenfolio.com/p93919333
The night before the wedding, I woke up at 3:30 a.m. to JES sawing logs and wandered up to my parent's hotel room with my sisters, where we giggled for about a half hour before falling asleep due to exhaustion. It was a great last night as a Fenner.

And no, I don't feel any different being married. Maybe if we hadn't lived together for all but six months of our relationship, owned three pets and a house together, shared a joint bank account, and hadn't been friends for seven years, then it would be different. But don't get me wrong, I'm still getting used to the word "husband" rolling off my tongue and being called a wife, though a sudden rush of happiness fills me until I feel it burning in my face whenever I speak or hear those words. But Shawn and I both agree that the words "husband" and "wife" are much better sounding than "fiance" or "fiancee".
I can't even begin to tell you how incredibly happy and lucky I am to be married to such a wonderful and handsome man. And I thought I loved him then. It's so funny to me what a piece of paper can do to change your life.

I am forever grateful to all the amazing family and friends who were there to celebrate our special day. It meant so much to Shawn and I to have you all there. And Cal, I'm glad we were able to strike a nerve with your inner hopeless optimist ;)

Right at this very moment, Shawn and I should be in St. Maarten enjoying the first full day of our honeymoon. But impending tropical storms and Hurricane Bill kept us from traveling to our exotic destination yesterday. We are bummed, as you can imagine, but it's better to be safe than sorry. To be honest, with the gloomy weather forecast in the Caribbean this week, we weren't all that excited to go on our honeymoon anyway and that's just not right. While we chose to postpone our romantic, newlywed getaway, we are certainly looking forward to the honeymoon we are now planning after Christmas 2009. We are still searching for destinations, but Hawaii seems to be at the top of our list. Where would you go on your honeymoon?

So, as Shawn says, everything will work out. And the bottom and best line is: we are still happily married and looking forward to spending the rest of our lives together.

2 comments:

cal ;) said...

i was totally thinking of you when i saw the news about the tropical storms down in the caribbean! i'm glad you're safe and postponing the vacation part of your honeymoon for a little bit. hawaii would be amazing - but i know that no matter where you go, it'll be a fantastic time. congrats again - and gorgeous pictures!! :)

Kitty Vermouth said...

I love it; I hope you read the blog I posted in your honor. Marriage is truly awesome ... and not that Bret Michaels definition of awesome - but the real definition of awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...