Friday, September 18, 2009

What's in a name?

I finally started reading the book I ordered on the steps to become a wedding planner. I read nearly half the book in two sittings yesterday. I also have my name on the invite list for the Columbus Bridal Consultants' wedding planner certificate classes. I told you I was serious about this little endeavor.

So far I have talked to Heidi owner of Heidzillas and my friend Kate, who is a successful event planner at a venue in Dublin, Ohio. The classes I will take this fall will also put me in touch with several other professional wedding planners in the Columbus area, which I am excited about. The connections and advice will be much needed and appreciated as I start my business. I also hope to solicit the skills of my MBA-seeking sister to help me develop a business plan. Luckily for me, she just did a class project on this very thing!

So after I read chapter 5 of my book, I will be prepared to start taking the steps to getting my gig off the ground and market yours truly. I hope to solicit the help of my creative marketing friends H2 and KTrux for marketing ideas. They don't know this yet...well, they might now.

But before I can even market, I need a name for my business. But what? I'm putting a lot of thought into this aspect because it has to portray the right message. It has to be memorable and clear about what I do.

Here are some stipulations about the name of my business:
  1. I don't want to use my name in the title of my business. So many wedding and event planners do this. I want to do something different.
  2. I want it to be modern, memorable, and catchy yet still get across the message that I am a wedding/event planner. So this means no elegant events, wonderful weddings, perfectly planned, etc. names. Nothing against the businesses with these names, but they seem to fluffy to me.
  3. I don't want the name of my business to limit the work I can do. Yes, I want to be known for wedding planning, but I also want to be able to leave my options open to do birthdays, anniversary parties, corporate events, etc. Wedding planner will be in my title, so it doesn't need to be in the name of my business. I'm thinking just using "events" in the name of the business will convey the message appropriately.
So after narrowing my options a little bit, here are a few names I've come up with on my own:
  • Sugar & Lace Events
  • Lilac & Lace Events
  • Clover & Lace Events (can you tell I got stuck on the "& Lace". Don't know where that came from, but obvs I liked it.)
  • Your Style Events
  • Event Envy
I am open to suggestions, so throw them out there!

I've been doing some research on what other wedding planners have named their businesses so I stay away from similar names. Almost anything you can think of using a bridal or wedding term has been used. So I want to stay away from that as well. Hopefully this will help set me apart.

It's all about getting in and standing out.

1 comment:

cal ;) said...

i like event envy and sugar and lace...what about sugar and spice? you never know when you might have a saucy bride-to-be! :)

whatever you choose will be perfect, i'm sure. i'm still soo excited for you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...