Monday, February 22, 2010

All the right friends in all the right places

Apparently my last post came at a really good time. After I had just gotten done telling all my friends how much I missed them, they surprised me at work on Friday night with a month-early birthday/honeymoon present:Complete with sunscreen, gossip magazine, plenty of headache medicine, shovels and a bucket for all the sweet sand castles the Mr. and I are going to build on the beach, brain teasers and cards for entertainment on the plane, candles, and a gift card to Victoria's Secret. Not pictured is the SI swim suit edition for Mr. Ritter.

And of course, their beautiful selves. It was just what I needed, and I was on the verge of tears with excitement.

This weekend was all about realizing the power and selflessness of my friends. Friday night kicked it off on a great, but also a sad note. We all found out that E's cousin, whom she was closed to and lived with for more than a year after college, left this earth at his own hand. I can't begin to imagine what she's going through, but it was amazing the amount of love and support I wanted to show her to make her feel better. I texted her immediately to let her know I loved her and I was here for her.

While I was stuck at work the rest of Friday night, the girls visited with E and just listened, hugged and provided Kleenex. We are also planning to attend the viewing and funeral to support her as she tries to be strong for her family. We are also getting her a $100 gift card to help with expenses while she is off work during this tough time. The funny thing is, it was never an option in any of our minds that we'd be there for her and do what we could to get her through the pain and sorrow of losing a loved one. Karj also told us that the best time to be there for someone who has recently experience a loss is a month to two months after when the casseroles and friends and family go back to their daily lives. So our plan is to each choose a week in the next month or two and bring E dinner or just be with her.

My friends are amazing. Period.

This weekend was also about enjoying new friends. Saturday night I went out to dinner and a night on the town with three girls, my neighbors, that I have been working out with for over a year. We have become friends and it's so refreshing to meet wonderful women.

Don't you love the brunette, blonde, brunette, blonde thing we've got going on?

Also, to top off this friend-filled weekend, was our BnB book club meeting. A.Fry hosted and we had tons of delicious food. We had just finished reading our first book, She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, and we had a great discussion about the book. We might be nerds, but we are all nerds together and that's the way we like it.

Overall, this weekend was fabulous and just what the doctor ordered before I am wisked away on my honeymoon. Bottom line, I love my friends. And they love me. Unconditionally. We're there for each other, good or bad. Because that's what best friends do, and K.Ruff, H2, K.Trux, JES, V, Kel, Karjo, E, Lynn are my best friends.

1 comment:

cal ;) said...

my favorite thing in the honeymoon care package is the sunblock for mr. ritter, haha. :)

sorry to hear about e's cousin...i'll keep her in my prayers, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...