Wednesday, April 7, 2010

observation: the college classroom; i hope i didn't act like them

It's ironic that Carrie went on this rant yesterday. I've been holding in a rant of my own. I don't remember if I told you, but I'm taking college courses again (for free! ahhh, the perks of being an employee at a college) toward my bachelor's in psychology. Sitting in class with freshman students has given me some perspective on these kids (I'll call them young adults when they start acting like it) and some their complete lack of respect; whether for the professor or the coursework or just people in general.

My sister told me this generation of kids/teens/young adults has been dubbed the Me Generation. Seems appropriate after some of my in-class observations.

I sat beside these two chicks in one of my classes and the one is very vocal (you know, that girl who talks louder than necessary to attract attention? I hate that girl) and the comments she makes, even to her friends, are snarky and bitchy (at least by tone). I always think: "How does she even have friends if that's how she talks to them?" Whatever. I'm not her friend.

Anyway, on the first day of this class, the professor told us that if our cell phone rings at all in the middle of class, you fail. He will give us one "get out of jail free" card, but after that, a big fat F. Would you agree this in not too tough a rule to follow? So, this same loud-talking girl says in the crowded-elevator ride after class how ridiculous the professor's cell phone policy is. I just wanted to say to her, "No. You know what's ridiculous is the fact that you can't respect the professor (and more importantly, your parents who are paying for your over-priced education) enough to turn off your damned cell phone for an hour and 20 minutes. What's also ridiculous is the fact that you can't stay off your phone for an hour and 20 minutes. It's 9:30 in the morning, who the hell do you need to talk to? You're not that important and all your friends are in class too, SO DEAL." Insomanywords.

Another thing I've noticed is the way these kids talk to each other. I think part of the reason they lack proper social skills is because they spend so much of their social life on their phone, on Facebook, and playing video games. Whatever happened to taking a walk with a friend or playing kickball outside?

Another girl after class today got in the elevator and said how boring our class was, but that the professor was kind of funny and awkward (but I don't think she didn't mean awkward in a good way after she referenced an example he gave from class which I found extremely amusing - does that mean I'm old?). To be honest, I like the class. Again, does that make me old?

Seriously, I am appalled by the abundance of disrespect of some of these kids. It just makes me want to smack them. Hard. In the face. But I try to ignore their petty arrogance, and hope that one day, reality kicks their ass. I also hope that I never acted like them in college.


P.S. Don't forget, Running in Stilettos is moving to http://runninginstilettosblog.blogspot.com tomorrow, April 8!

2 comments:

Amber said...

This is hilarious! Yesterday, I overheard this uber d-bag describing why he hasn't been to class in the past week. It went a little something like this:

"Last week was hell week, so I couldn't go to class. Monday, my cell phone died, so my alarm didn't go off. Yesterday (which would have been TUESDAY), I got too drunk and just didn't wake up this morning."
Who are these people?!?

FenMom said...

Sounds like you've been raised right! Seriously, this does not make you old, just respectful to those who deserve respect! Love the post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...