Monday, August 9, 2010

detox week: day 1

{photo courtesy abcnews.go.com}

Call me crazy, but I have decided to detox this week. Many people associate detox with drug or alcohol dependency, but this is not that type of detox, although alcohol is not in my detox diet. So why detox? Lately, I have been in a bad habit of unhealthy eating and lack of exercise. While many women have been hitting the gym throughout bikini season, I have been slacking and eating my weight in Chipotle and Chinese/Japanese food. Detoxifying my body this week will jump start my good eating and workout habits.

Last night I purchased nearly $60 (gasp!) in fruits and veggies, including peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, pears, blueberries, carrots, tomatoes, lemons, celery, onion, spaghetti squash and lettuce. I also bought brown rice. We already had apples, zuchini, cucumber and chicken breast at home. I promptly cut up veggies for salads and washed all the produce. Preparing meals as much as I can ahead of time is going to be key since I am always on the go.

Click here for a sample detox diet menu.

My goal this week is to eliminate unhealthy foods and eat healthy foods, mostly fruits and veggies with the additional serving of brown rice and chicken breast. And it will be all water, often with lemon, for me (at least 8-10 glasses each day). Starting tomorrow, I will keep you posted on my meals and snacks from the previous day.

I am also going to increase my workouts. This morning, I got up about 6:20 a.m. for 30 minutes of kickboxing. Tonight, I will walk or jog for at least 30 minutes after my psych class. This week I will be attending three or four workout classes at the gym, which run from 30 minutes to an hour in length, with my fabulous trainer, Courtney. Again, tomorrow I will start keeping you posted on my daily workouts.

{photo courtesy aww.ninemsn.com.au}

Detox is effective in helping to jump start weight loss. My starting weight is 127 lbs. Though many women who detox shed some poundage, it's easy to put that weight back on once you start eating your old diet again. The key is to gradually reintroduce the foods you used to eat, but keep your fridge stocked with fruits and veggies to work into your daily diet. Another key is quantity. Lately, I have been eating to capacity (probably over capacity) and have felt so bloated, especially after lunch, which is my biggest meal of the day. This detox plan will help me eat smaller portions more often throughout the day.

My detox will end on Saturday night, as I will be attending a wedding and will undoubtedly drink a few adult beverages, hence ending the detox. However, I will make it a point to eat consciously. I am relying on all of you to help keep me honest this week. I'm aiming for more energy, a few pesky pounds lost and an overall healthier and happier me that I can continue to maintain.

If anyone has done a detox before and would like to share any diet or workout tips, please leave me a comment with your email address.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I have never done a detox, per say, but starting in January I began calorie counting. I downloaded a (free) app on my iPod touch called "lose it." You enter your current weight and your ideal weight, and it tells you how many calories you can eat a day. I LOVE it! It has helped me so much. Even when I slack off of the actual calorie counting, I'm very mindful of what I eat and whether or not it's healthy for me. I also pack my lunch every day and eat it all throughout the day instead of just at lunch. My favorite snack now is blueberries and fat free vanilla yogurt! Good luck!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...