Monday, February 21, 2011

go red and move your body


Yes, you've already heard it. And yes, I'll say it again. Exercise is good for your heart. The American Heart Association says as little as 30 minutes of walking a day provides heart healthy benefits. So if you're not getting in at least 30 minutes of some type of physical activity each day, what's keeping you from taking that first step? We're talking about your heart here, people. Maybe it's a lack of motivation or time? Here are my three pieces of advice:

1. Have a workout buddy. Right now, I'm training for a half marathon, and I couldn't imagine running without Audra and Kristen. We keep each other motivated to push through those long runs, and to even show up to run at all. I also attend several weekly workout classes at the gym in my complex. I have established friendships with some of the other women in the classes, which is a good reason to show up each week. The trainer is also motivating because she truly cares about helping me achieve my health goals, and she pushes me, sometimes harder than I think I can handle, to give each workout a 100%.

2. Make time. At the beginning of each week, I look to see what days I have time to work out and I write my workouts into my planner. I have found that if my workouts are scheduled, just like any other obligation during the week, I am more likely to workout. 

3. Set realistic goals. Whether you rarely or regularly exercise, it helps to stay motivated if you have a goal. My goal is to work out at least three times a week, but if I have more time, I take advantage of it. I have had the most success establishing a regular exercise routine when I have set this goal for myself, rather than setting a goal to lose X amount of weight. But everyone is different, so set goals that are appropriate for you. Don't be afraid to start small.

Whether you walk, run, dance, bike, swim, or any other form of exercise, you are helping to keep your heart healthy. The American Heart Association has great tips for getting started for long-term success, so get off your tookus, move your body, and flex your heart muscle!

2 comments:

Audra said...

We can DO THIS!!

Emily said...

I loved this! I do NOT love working out, but always feel better after I do. I'm trying out some new things to try and help me get through the dreaded cardio. I could lift weights and do strength machines all day. It's the cardio that I despise. I will write a post about what gets me through my cardio as soon as I figure out...what gets me through my cardio? ha ha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...