Thursday, February 10, 2011

therapy thursday: sometimes there is no quick fix. or why diets don’t work.

I heard on a radio commercial this week that time is the currency of our generation (or something to that affect). And it’s true. People will do anything to save themselves time. I’m just as guilty as you (obviously, I assume you’re guilty too). I’m not saying this is wrong. In fact, we can’t help it. Humans are designed for short-term thinking and reward.

 {via}

Think about it. Credit cards, drugs, diets are all designed to give you a quick fix. Don’t have the money? Use your credit card to by that v-neck sweater from Express that you already own in three other colors. Dealing with some deep personal issues that are painful to think about? Snort some coke or shoot some heroine, you’ll feel better in no time. Gained a little extra poundage over the holidays? Jump on the Weight Watchers/Jenny Craig/South Beach bandwagon.

See all quick fixes to keep you happy. But the thing is, if you don’t change your behavior or attitude, credit cards, drugs, and diets only satisfy you for a little while. Soon you’ll be maxing out multiple credit cards and in debt up to your ears. You’ll be a drug addict with a runny nose. You’ll give up the diet because counting points takes too much effort, and you really just want to gorge on some cheese dip or cheesecake.

{via}

Changing your body and your mind take more time. If you want long-term fixes, you have to do the work. Save a little money from three month’s worth of paychecks to go on a shopping spree. Talk to someone or journal about what you’re going through and feeling. Stop buying snacks at the grocery store and stock up on fruits and veggies. There is no quick fix for developing new spending, attitude, or healthy habits. Or any new habit for that matter.

{via}

If you truly want to change your behavior, your attitude, your situation, your body, anything, ask yourself, “Can I do this forever?” and “Can I live like this?” You can’t survive on water and lettuce, that’s why diets don’t work. Real change takes time and commitment. I want to change my body, so I am scheduling workouts at least three days a week, actually putting them in my planner and doing my best to stick to my schedule. I get grumpy if I miss a scheduled workout, and I take advantage of unplanned free time to spend a half hour in the gym. And I’ve just committed to running my third half marathon in May. It’s not easy, but it will be worth it.

{via}

It’s the little things you do every day to make change happen in your life that are key to your long-term success. If you can’t stand the short-term discomfort, you won’t get the long-term reward.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Great post!! Credit cards can be a scary thing!!

Audra said...

I love every single thing about this post. Amazing, and motivating!

Emily said...

Great post, Holly! I loved it! Are you going to start charging for these therapy sessions? ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...