Thursday, February 3, 2011

therapy thursday: take a break

I know it's only February and I was just off work for two weeks during Christmas and New Year's, but I have got to tell you, I am in desperate need of a vacation. June 12 cannot get here soon enough when Mr. Ritter and I and two other couples head to Myrtle Beach for a week. But that's another post.

 {a view from my Pittsburgh hotel room.}

As I write this, I'm sitting in a hotel room in Pittsburgh. My sister and I arrived here last night and it's so nice to be able to take my time in the morning - get up, work out, shower, get ready for the day, catch Regis and Kelly, Rachael Ray, and The View (all shows I've never had the luxury of watching), and blog.

It's so easy to get caught up in the pressures, drama, and chaos at work each day, and sometimes weekends are jam packed as you try to do everything you want to get done in two days. It can make a person crazy. I am one of those people. I'm always on the go during the week and the weekend. So I was really looking forward to today and tomorrow and getting away from the office and my responsibilities back home for a couple days (though I do miss Mr. Ritter and our fur-kids).

I have a friend who takes a long weekend at least once a month. She says it's the best thing that she does for herself each month. It keeps her sane. I think it's so important to take time for yourself, to take a break from the daily grind and just relax and do something for you. Every day is full of stressors, and I think it's vital that we all take a long weekend or a vacation every once in awhile. And take time to focus on ourselves. It's not selfish, it's the key to sanity. And getting away from our daily stressors is the key to a long and healthy life.

I know we've heard it before, in many different situations, but seriously, life is too short. So take a break and live. Missing one day at the office to enjoy a long weekend is not going to make or break your career. And if it does, you should probably think about a new career, because a job that doesn't value your life outside of the office is slowing killing you anyway. It's not worth it, and you won't convince me otherwise.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I can't wait for summer vacation!! I try to take at least an hour before I fall asleep to just watch something I enjoy like How I Met Your Mother. That is so relaxing to me :)

Emily said...

I wasn't quite ready to "face the world" yet after my life kind of was turned upside recently. We had Monday off of work for the Bishop's day and then two snow days after that. I can't tell you how much I needed that and how much it helped me! I stayed in my pajamas all day, watched whatever I wanted on TV and just relaxed. When I finally went back to work today, I felt as ready as I'll ever be. And I only cried once (and no one saw me).

cal ;) said...

i'm not sure if i was the friend you're referring to, but i definitely try to take a long weekend each month! and if it doesn't work out, i definitely do every other month. it helps so much to have a mini break to look forward to!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...