Wednesday, March 9, 2011

self control


I grew up Catholic, though I have to admit, as I have gotten older, I have gotten further away from the church and its beliefs. No worries, I'm not going launch into a debate about religion. However, I must also confess that I really only like Lent because of the 40-day challenge it presents. I am goal-oriented and the Lenten season gives me something to work toward.

While I was still contemplating what I was going give up during Lent, Mr. Ritter proudly exclaimed to me last week that he is giving up beer. He told me not to laugh, but it was hard not too. He LOVES Bud Light and can be found most weekends doing 12-ounce curls while watching the Buckeyes or playing Madden with his friends. But he is serious (I asked him again today) and he wants to see how much weight he can lose by not drinking beer for 40 days, so I am going to be supportive. So much so that I am going to give up beer as well during Lent. I don't drink nearly as much as my hubby, but when I do go out, I tend to order a beer just because it's easier to hang on to and not spill when I bust into random dance parties at the bar.



I am also giving up pop, or soda or Coke depending on where you're from. Unless it's in a mixed drink (I will not be drinking straight vodka, rum, or whiskey), I'm not going to drink it. There I said it. Now I have to follow through with my promises. I will exercise self control, and you all can hold me to it!

What are you giving up for Lent?

5 comments:

Megan Robideau said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan Robideau said...

shopping!!! I need to save that moo-lah $$. I've tried pop before - didn't work, and cussing - didn't work. Hopefully I have better luck with this. Happy Lent-ing :D

Mateya said...

I don't give anything up. I did stop drinking pop about a year and a half ago though. I never really drank much to begin with (just maybe a Sprite when we went out to eat) so it wasn't too hard for me!

runningonwords said...

I'm giving up swearing and I'm holding my self accountable by doing a swear jar that I'll donate to a charity after Easter. I think I'm gonna end up broke.

Ashley said...

good luck lady! This is awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...