Tuesday, May 17, 2011

nostalgia


I'm from a small town in northeast Ohio. As soon as I went to college, I left everyone and everything I knew there behind for bigger and better things in a much larger city. To this day, I only go "home" to visit my parents and extended family still in the area. But I mostly only visit on holidays. I only keep in touch with one person from high school. I wanted to get away. I wanted a change.

A couple weekends ago I made the trip from Columbus to Canton for my sister's bridal shower. It's two-hour drive (one way) passed a lot of Ohio's small, country towns. The ones where everyone knows everybody. You go to school with the same kids since kindergarten. On Friday nights, the whole town shows up for the football game. Saturday, you spend your time swimming in ponds, racing through the woods on ATVs, and relaxing with friends around a bonfire. Or at least that's what I think of when I think of summer nights in Shelby.


For the first time that I can remember, while driving home from Canton, I was hit with a wave of nostalgia for summer nights back home. To drive an ATV, to jump off an anchored dock, to sit around a bonfire with a cold beer. So I turned the radio to a country station, turned it up, and smiled as I was flooded with memories of old friends.


I don't regret leaving, and I most likely never will. But I do appreciate where I came from. This summer, my girlfriends and I are doing hometown tours, so that we can see where each of us grew up. That wave of nostalgia got me excited to make the trip to Shelby with the girls in July. Just for one simple, summer night.

{all photos via we heart it}

P.S. Today is the last day to enter my giveaway for a Shine Project necklace! If you already signed up, double check to make sure your entries are there. There was a glitch in Blogger over the weekend, and I lost some of your entries from the comments section. Sad face. Winner will be announced tomorrow!

8 comments:

Southern Princess said...

My story is exactly the same. I'm always happy I moved away, but I enjoy visiting my parents and showing my husband and kids where their mama came from! Xoxo

Sarah Soon-To-Be said...

Great post. Love going home to corntown!

Brittany said...

Love the home tours idea!! How cool :) I've been to Shelby once and it seemed like such a great town to grow up in!

Nikki said...

That home town tour idea sounds like a ton of fun. What a great idea!

Halfway A Housewife said...

I just started reading your blog... I love your home town tour.. have a awesome time

Mateya said...

This describes all of my summers growing up :)I wouldn't trade the simple living for anything! The city is great but I am so thankful to live in the country.

I love the idea of the home tours! So fun!

cal ;) said...

ooh, i also love the idea of hometown tours! you'll have to fill me in on friday and let me know where all you're going!

bhila said...

i think that was fun :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...