Thursday, July 21, 2011

the help: movie review

{via}

Last night, I had the pleasure of seeing a FREE screening of The Help, a movie based off the incredible novel by Kathryn Stockett (read it if you haven't!). The book is all about a controversial, hush-hush topic in America - stories of black maids working for white families in Jackson, Mississippi during the 1960s, told from the perspective of the maids. This is by far one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. 

{via}

I felt the movie followed along with the book (I have to admit that I only read about half or three-quarters of the book - though I plan to read it all again). It's really a fascinating story. This movie made me laugh, hearty laughter from my gut, and it also made me cry. A great combo.

{via}

Viola Davis' character, Aibileen, teaches us the power and beauty of faith.

{via}

Bryce Dallas Howard's character, Hilly, is the epitome of racism and conniving evil.

{via}

{via}

Emma Stone's character, Skeeter, (she is absolutely fabulous and precious in this role!) reminds us that there are people brave enough to fight for what they believe in, what's right.  

{via}

Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny (Octavia Spencer) prove that courage and belief know no race, no boundaries.

One of my favorite characters from the film was Celia (Jessica Chastain). She embodied the innocence, all-embracing and non-judgemental essence that very few people truly have in this world. 
{via}


The cast of characters worked flawlessly together and played their roles perfectly. I left the theater feeling truly humbled knowing that I most identified with Skeeter. Not only do I play a journalist/writer in real life, but I am a firm believer in equality and that people deserve a free and full life.
 
 This movie is a MUST see this summer. It hits theaters on August 10

If you end up splurging on the $8-$10 movie ticket to see it, let me know your thoughts!

7 comments:

annahita said...

aaahh! I CANT WAIT! I loved the book and have a good feeling about the movie, so glad to hear you liked it!

Brittany said...

It was great!! I also loved Jessica Chastain. I also think Viola Davis was wonderful. She made the movie!

Meg {henninglove} said...

thanks for the movie review, I saw the trailer recently and was thinking about seeing it. Now with your review I will definitely go see it. following you now :-)

Jenna said...

Ahh- I am so jealous you already got to see the movie! This was one of the best books I've read in a while. I loved that it was incredibly insightful without being too dense.

I am so happy you loved the movie!! I am always so worried about how the film will turn out when it is based on a beloved book! :)

Savannah said...

Oh girl, I have got tos ee this movie! I loved the book!!

New follower: )

stop on over at http://southernsavannah.blogspot.com and say howdy: )

Steph @ Professors_Wife said...

I totally missed the boat on this and I am SO sad about it. I've seen the preview to the Help so many times now, and I'm dying to watch and read it!

Home Design Ideas said...

Great stuff from you, man. Ive read your stuff before and youre just too awesome. I love what youve got here, love what youre saying and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you still manage to keep it smart. I cant wait to read more from you. This is really a great blog. Home Design Ideas

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...