Wednesday, August 10, 2011

diy: maps as matting and fun with spray paint

A few weeks ago I pinned this DIY project.



This weekend, I finally got around to completing it. And I must say, it was pretty easy. I even impressed myself by not turning into an OCD perfectionist - which normally prevents me from completing a project. I'm very happy with the result.

Here's a quick how to:

Items needed: scissors, scotch tape, frames, matting, photos, map/atlas, spray paint (optional).

1. Find frames, photo matting and photos. I already had two 11x17 frames with 8x10 matting.



2. Find maps or atlases. I bought an atlas of Ohio at Half Priced Books.

3. I spray painted the frames - take out glass and matting.



4. I ripped the desired maps out, cut them to my liking so that I could tape them to the matting. I lined up the map with the outside edge of the matting, leaving enough room to tuck and tape the map on the inside edge of the matting. I cut the map at a diagonal toward the inside corner of the matting, so that I could wrap the map on the inside of the matting. And I pieced together maps to get my desired look.


5. Once the maps were cut and taped to the matting, I put the frames back together and added my photos - one engagement picture and one wedding picture.




In the frame with our engagement picture are maps of our hometowns - my hometown on my side of the photo and Mr. Ritter's hometown next to his side of the photo. In the frame with our wedding picture are maps of Columbus, including Westerville, where we first met in college. Sweet and sappy, huh?


I'm so happy I found the motivation to finally complete this project. It was definitely worth the wait!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I love it. Very cool idea!

Brunette & Blessed said...

these turned out amazing! love it

Katie said...

I LOVE THIS! I've been wondering where to find the maps. Did you use just one atlas or did you need more? I may have to make a stop in this weekend..I pinned this too and have been wanting to do it!!

Miss Chelsea said...

Yay! They turned out so good! Now if only I'd actually follow through & finish mine ha

Ashley said...

SOOO cute! I need to do this as well ...love it!

Emily said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this project! I have only framed one wedding photo and one engagement photo. This would be so cool for the wall in our bedroom which is in desperate need of some artwork. Thanks for posting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...