Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years. Never forgotten.



10 years ago today I was a senior in high school, sitting in my AP Government class watching in disbelief at the images on TV. I could have never imagined at 17 years old the impact that day would have on our nation.

So much has happened since that day. With each anniversary, we remember. 9/11/2001. We moarn the people who lost their lives. We honor the sacrifice of so many brave men and women, who risked and gave their lives to save others. The impact of that day is immeasurable.


Today, in NYC, the 9/11 Memorial opened. Last week I watched a special about how they built the 16-acre memorial - complete with two never-ending waterfalls in the exact spot where the twin towers once stood, which are surrounded by the names of the people who died in each tower and on the flights.

Incredible.

Today, Shawn and I spent the 10th anniversary of 9/11 at Cleveland Browns stadium for the home opener against the Cincinnati Bengals. But we didn't forget. A single tear rolled down my cheek as the bugler played "Taps" (that song gets me every time) while a giant American flag covered the field.

Beautiful.

We will never forget. 

1 comment:

Emily said...

I cried watching on TV as the crowd there was chanting, "USA. USA." right before the star spangled banner. Very touching! Oh, and be thankful you were at the game and missing the 9/11 commercials they were playing. TEAR JERKERS!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...