Saturday, October 1, 2011

thanksgiving traditions

Fabulous Fall Blog Challenge


This blog challenge flew by, no?! Well, it's going out with a bang gobble. One of the great things about fall is that it's summed up with Thanksgiving. Turkey day is such a warm, loving holiday. Don't you think? Family, friends, food, football. What more could a girl ask for?

I am fortunate to have both sets of grandparents, so I typically get two Thanksgivings. We head to my dad's parents' house first, which is packed with aunts, uncles, cousins and their kids. My dad has eight brothers and sisters. So on the holidays when all nine kids are home, plus their families, it's cray cray up in there. But that's when it's the most fun. There are people everywhere. It's a move your feet, lose your seat situation. And you have to either curl up uncomfortably on a small section of couch or just plant yourself on the floor in order to take that mid-afternoon nap.

My mom's parents' house is less chaotic, but still full of plenty of people and good food. My day typically consists of food, several cat naps and football. Sometimes a few of us will get together and play cards or Apples to Apples (one of my favorite games!) or some other random game. It's fun to just have everyone together because it doesn't happen nearly enough now that the grandkids have gone off to college and moved away from home.

Last year, we changed things up a little and my parents came to Shawn's parents' house for turkey day. We still ate, napped and played games. It was fun and a nice change of pace. My Grandma (my dad's mom) has said that after decades of the cooking Thanksgiving meal, she's ready for a break. The last couple of years, she and my grandpa have jetted off to celebrate the holiday with my aunts and uncles who live out of state. I don't blame her. She's earned it.

To me, Thanksgiving is just all about being with family and friends and enjoying that time together. Being grateful that I still have both sets of grandparents and such a large family. I also appreciate the tight-knit bond that Shawn's small family has with each other. They make me giggle.

My family does not put on a fancy or elaborate holiday celebration. It's just good old family fun and love and gratefulness. It's nothing that I take for granted. I know how lucky I am, and I hope that each of you is able to enjoy the holidays with your family and friends as much as I do.

Gobble, gobble!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

family and loads of food is what Thanksgiving is all about :)

well and being thankful for all of it!

Neely said...

Yes the more family the better!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...