Tuesday, December 6, 2011

holiday dessert + tradition

Today, I am rocking out to some Christmas tunes on the ol' Pandora. 

It has provided a much-needed pick-me-up from the neersty, cold, rainy, gray weather we're currently experiencing in Columbus. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I wish it was snow and not rain. I mean if it's going to be cold and damp, at least make it pretty with some big, fat, fluffy flakes.

And since the holiday spirit is biting me today, I'm linking back up with Neely and Amber for their holiday blog challenge for Day 6 and 7.


Fabulous Holiday Blog Challenge


Day 6: Holiday Dessert/Treat Recipe

I must give credit where credit is due, so a HUGE thank you to my bestie Audra for introducing me to the wonder of oreo balls!


Nom, nom, nom...

These delicious balls require only three ingredients and about 20-30 minutes of your precious time.

Ingredients:

one package of Oreos
one package of soft cream cheese
one package of chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Put the Oreos in a bag and crush with a mallet. Or the classy, less fun way with a food processor.
2. Put Oreo crumbles into a bowl, add entire package of cream cheese and stir. It's actually easier to mix the cream cheese and Oreos with your hands.
3. Roll Oreo/cream cheese mix into desired size balls (I guess we'll see who thinks size matters!) and place on a cookie sheet.
4. Place cookie sheet of Oreos ball in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to firm up (mind out of the gutter, pervs).
5. Melt chocolate chips in a pan on the stove with low heat. Add a little bit of milk to keep chips from burning.
6. Once the chocolate chips are melted, dip the Oreo balls and place back on the tray.
You can decorate them if you feel like getting fancy.
7. Place all dipped Oreos in the freezer to harden.
8. Serve and enjoy!

I'm thinking some holiday themed Oreo balls are going to be a must for holiday parties I attend.



Day 7: How Do You Celebrate the Holidays?

This will be the seventh Christmas that Shawn and I have spent together.
And I regret to inform you that we have established zero holiday traditions, well other than decorating. OK, so maybe we have one tradition.

We tried to start the couple's ornament every year one year. We have one ornament. I think it's from 2007.

We have gone to see the Columbus Zoo lights a couple times. We need to go sooner when it's not as cold out.

We have tried to have a night when we open gifts from each other. But after the gift opening, we just end up hanging out not really doing anything special. Maybe we could try watching Christmas movies.

We haven't even sent out Christmas cards as a couple. EVER. Whaaat?!
I'm hoping to change that this year.
We got our first Christmas card from Katie and Billy this weekend!
I will use that as motivation!

One thing that has been a tradition my entire 27 years has been waking up on Christmas morning at my parents' house and sitting by the tree with my family, handing out and opening gifts, and throwing the occasional wrapping paper ball at my dad, who always mans the trash bag.
Being together is what Christmas is all about.

What are some of your holiday traditions?
Photobucket

9 comments:

Mandy@OrangeAutumn said...

Ummm.. those oreo ball things look INCREDIBLE, yum!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Victoria said...

oh heaven!! yummm!!

Katie said...

HOLLY those look heavenly! I'm thinking I may need to do those for my cookie exchange this weekend. I have to bake 12 dozen. YUMYUMYUM. and fairly easy right?

Ashley said...

Ive heard so much about these "balls" lol I need to make them!!!!

Monica said...

Sounds fantastic! How great that you still get to wake up at your parents and open gifts :)

Alyssa said...

Oh my gosh, that dessert looks amazing!! Yum!

Fash Boulevard said...

those oreo balls look divine. i have to try this. amazing post, love. thanks for sharing. if you get a sec I'd love to hear what you think of my latest trend report and enter my giveaway. xo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

the girl in the red shoes said...

Oh my word. Oreo balls? Yes please!!!

Audra said...

My life wouldn't be the same without Oreo balls... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...