Friday, January 6, 2012

because we're best friends

 
I got this text from my best friend last night as soon as I got home from the gym:

"Thought you should know, I am a bottle of wine deep, 5 pages of Joey's scrapbook, and watching the movie The Help and all I can think of is you and how lucky I am to have you as my best friend...if you will still have me, that is."

I asked to join her party. 
Because she's my best friend and I couldn't let her do this alone.

She said: 
"Most ppl get to take home a baby, I get a few pages of a scrapbook and should feel happy."
"But if you are going to join tonight you better bring more wine."

I showed up 15 minutes later with a bottle of wine and Cheez-Its because you can't drink on an empty stomach, and I forgot I had cheese cubes in the fridge.

I gave her a hug and we cried until we laughed at ourselves, then went to work making 2.5 more pages of Joey's scrapbook for the next two hours.

  Joseph "Joey" Scott went to heaven at 19 weeks and 6 days on Dec. 23, 2011.

It wasn't easy to hold her hand while tears ran down her face as she taped his little hospital gown and hat to a piece of scrapbook paper. It wasn't easy to hear her repeat how unfair life is and that while most mothers get to take home their babies, all she got was a scrapbook. It's wasn't easy because I knew that there was nothing I could say or do that would make her hurt any less.

So I held her hand and cried with her.
And helped her make the best damn scrapbook any mother could have.
We laughed about that.
And we took two awful shots in memory of Joey.

Because we're best friends, and that's what best friends do.


Photobucket

22 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh my gosh. That's heartbreaking. But she's lucky to have a friend like you!!!

Christina said...

Ah, Holly. My heart goes out to your friend. She is so lucky to have you!

Mary said...

Wow Holly I'm so sorry for her, that is truly awful, but it's so wonderful she has you!

Katie said...

You are an amazing friend! So so sweet and touching. She is lucky to have you and vice versa. RIP Joey!

Ashley said...

What a great friend. She is lucky to have a friend like you. That is a tragic story and I know it has to be the hardest thing she has ever done, but you being there probably helps even just a little.

Praying for her and you're strength to be there for her when she needs to cry and vent!

courtneywagley said...

So terrible. Praying for peace!!

JCorna said...

Hi - I just recently started reading your blog and have never commented (so hello!) but when I read this I wanted to share with you 2 blogs that are written by women who have/are going through this same thing. Windy City Wilsons and By the Brooke (just google them) are both very well written and may help your friend feel like there are others who understand what she is going through. I have never gone through baby loss, but it also really helped me to understand and relate to a family member who was.

Audra said...

I am in tears reading this. You are such an amazing friend... she is so lucky to have you (and so am I).

Alicia Carlson said...

Holly this was so nice of you to share. What a sad story, but what a tremendous friend you are. :)

The Morrows said...

Wow! This is so sweet and sad at the same time. You and your friend are truly blessed to have each other.

Kelly said...

Ohh my :-( Any girl would be so lucky to have you has a best friend, Holly. My heart goes out to her and her family.

Selby said...

Wow, I am really sorry to hear this. She sure is lucky to have you as a friend. Hugs.

Mateya said...

I am so sorry to hear about this, but what a wonderful blessing you are to her!

Terri said...

I hope that one day, I will be so lucky as to have a friend like you

Maca said...

I am so sorry about your friend. Can't even imagine what that must be like. Thoughts and prayers with her.

lori said...

oh my goodness, my heart breaks for your friend. i will say a prayer for her tonight. i love that you showed up with wine and cheez-its. it sounds like just what she needed.

Emily said...

So sad for your friend, Holly. :( So glad you could be there for her. How awful.

Miss Chelsea said...

You are an amazing friend. We all hope to have someone like you in our lives !

Emily said...

What a great friend you are! I'm so sorry to hear about her loss. I can't even imagine :(

Stephanie said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

Holly. Such a sweet friend! I am so so sorry for your friend's (& your) loss. I cannot even fathom going through such a thing with my best friend but I guess that's what best friends are for. I sure do hope your friend finds peace in it all and hopefully, she'll have another little blessing on the way soon.

xoxo

cal ;) said...

<3 <3 <3

Kristen said...

I love you <3 I am a lucky girl to call you my best friend. Thank you.

P.s. Sorry for the shots.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...