Tuesday, January 17, 2012

diy: scarves on a curtain rod

It's National Hobby Month.
My DIY instincts kicked in just in time.
I consider decorating {and redecorating} our home a hobby. That and putting my husband to work.

This weekend, I we, much to Shawn's dismay on a Sunday morning, finally completed another Pinterest-inspired project: organizing my scarves!

This was my scarf organization before:


And for a woman who owns more than 30 beloved scarves, this seemed cruel. 

In order to remedy this unfortunate lack of scarf organization, which undoubtedly led to my realizing how many scarves I have haven't worn, I hit up Pinterest for ideas and Target for supplies.
I settled on attaching two cheap curtain rods to the wall and hanging the scarves on them.

What you'll need:
2 curtain rods {I got mine at Target for about $3 a piece}
Drill {or screw driver if you're into hard labor}
Level and tape measure
Blank wall

What I did:


Because the curtain rods were just going to be covered up, I opted for the cheapest ones money could buy.


Because I wanted to stack the curtain rods on the wall, I bought them at varying depths - one stuck out 2.5 inches from the wall and the other 1.5 inches.


I sweet talked Shawn into lending his perfectionist hanging skills.


 I decided to hang this creation in our spare bedroom where I get ready every morning and keep 50% of my clothing.
We hung the curtain rod with the 1.5 inch depth on top with the rod extended to 28 inches.
We hung the curtain rod with the 2.5 inch depth on the bottom with the rod extended to 29 inches, each end extending a half inch past the ends of the top rod.
Obviously, you could extended the curtain rods to fit the wall space you're using.


 And voilá!
A scarf organizer that doubles as wall art.
The scarves on the top curtain rod hang inside the bottom curtain rod.


I have added two new scarves since this photo was taken.
Oops :)
But I have an impressive 28 scarves now on display!

So, what do you think?

Photobucket

22 comments:

Shannon Dew said...

Super cute!

Jacqueline said...

this is genius! I have the largest scarf collection as well!! May have to do this!

pamcakesandcoffee said...

I love this idea! I really need to get organized, and this is a great way to display my scarf collection. Right now, they are in a drawer, so I would love to have them out in my room!

emily said...

super cute. i only have 5 at the moment, so they don't take up much room on my rod in my closet.

Melanie said...

What a cute idea! I love your scarves too. (AND the wall color is gorgeous!)

Ashley said...

Cute!! Wow I can't believe all ur scarves :)

Kelly said...

WAY cute!! What a great idea :-)

Bunnie said...

I love this! I have way too many scarfs hanging on a clothes hanger and it is a MESS!!!

http://www.angela2bunnie.blogspot.com

Carolyn said...

Oh I love this idea!!!!! I wish I had a free wall to do this with!!! BAH!

Michelle (michabella) said...

NICE!!! I did one where it just uses a wood hanger and shower rings....because I don't have over 30 of them! Which I am envious of your collection, btw!!

Holly said...

LOVE this idea!

Alicia {to columbus & beyond} said...

You are the only person I know that owns 28 scarves. Mad props to you.

lori said...

love this. such a great idea!! I'm sure i have 30ish scarves, too and i just organized mine this week ;) theres still so much to be done to have my closets completely organized!

KRISTIN said...

SUCH a GREAT idea!!!!

Nikki said...

I just did this last weekend! Great minds think alike :) But I put mine on the back on my closet door.

Mateya said...

Great idea!

Mateya said...

Great idea!

Mateya said...

Great idea!

Mary said...

I love it! Looks great! :)

Anna & Kirby said...

Love it!!! Great idea :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea...I'm taking it!
Sirlaundria....

Michael said...

Absolutely love this and must do it! I have 13 but the collection is growing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...