Tuesday, February 21, 2012

eat yourself healthy part 1: mind your peas and carrots

As promised, I'm going to share the information I learned about healthy eating last week.
The trainer at the gym in my complex brought in a registered dietitian and wellness coach from Giant Eagle to provide us with information about what and how to eat in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle and or lose weight.
And it doesn't include a diet.
Whaaaaat?

While there are some super women that can dominate a diet, many of us just plain suck at them {or maybe that's just me}.
Diets are boring, depriving and typically only provide a quick fix.
Need to lose weight before your wedding? Diet. New year's resolution? Diet. Bikini season coming up? Diet.
I won't argue with you that seeing quick results can be satisfying.
But I think the problem with diets is that they don't teach you how to eat healthy.
The RD said that Weight Watchers is one of the only mainstream diets that does make an effort to teach its participants about healthy eating.
But if you're going to save all your points to eat Chipotle {which is something I would do}, then you're missing the point.

Learning how to eat correctly (and establish a regular fitness routine} to maintain your body or lose weight is the only long-term fix.
And a lifestyle change can be difficult until it becomes habit.
And healthy eating should be a habit, a no brainer.

Remember the food pyramid from elementary school?
It's been replaced.
Meet MyPlate:
This colorful diagram helps you see what your plate should look like at each meal.
This is perfect for us visual learners, and helps put food servings into perspectives.

So let's talk vegetables.

Eat 'em.
Lots of 'em.
Why?
They are low in calories {~25 calories per half cup cooked or 1 cup raw}, include many nutrients and vitamins, and are high in fiber to regulate digestion, lower cholesterol and help you feel full.
Vegetables should be the biggest part of your meal.
At least a quarter, if not half of your plate should be non-starchy vegetables.
The goal is 3-5 servings per day.
Replace fruit at one meal per day with vegetables to help with weight loss, because veggies are lower in calories and sugar.

Here are some ways to get vegetables at each meal:
  • Breakfast: veggie omelet or veggies in a smoothie
  • Lunch: veggies with dip, veggies on a sandwich, veggies with hummus and pita
  • Dinner: roasted veggies, grilled veggies, steamed veggies, veggies in casseroles, soups or stews, veggies on pizza
  • Snacks: celery with 2 tbl cream cheese or peanut butter, veggie sticks with 2 tbl hummus, veggie chips, veggies with cheese stick
Of the ways to cook vegetables, all of them except boiling, keeps the nutrients in them.
The RD said that even the frozen veggies in the steamer bags are a great way to cook veggies in the microwave.
Easy peasy.

I have to admit.
I haven't incorporated many more veggies into my diet yet.
Well, it would help if we went to the grocery store.
But it's something I'm working towards.

Because I learned so much, I thought it would be best to not overwhelm you all at once, and break up the information into sections. So over the next four weeks, I will share more healthy eating information every Tuesday.
While some of this information you may already know or seems like common sense, it's nice to have a reminder and maybe learn something new.

Next up: bananas and cows {i.e. fruits and dairy}.

Photobucket

9 comments:

Alicia {to columbus & beyond} said...

I'm excited for this! I need some inspiration after that lo mein I plowed last night (which I totally left)
Also, I blogged about my unicorn pizza box, jusy an FYI

Love you!

Stephanie said...

Corn and peas are both starches, not veggies. Just a tip to help be even healthier!

elizabethashleyphoto said...

great post, thank you! can't wait for the upcoming installments.

Carolyn said...

I've been trying to eat more veggies since I started meal planning... and I really like them now! YUM! :)

Fashion Meets Food said...

What a great post. I have been looking into losing weight and getting healthier and I definitely will be printing this post out! xo

KatyK said...

I would love to sit and talk with this Diet person. I love fruits and veggies (Duh vegetarian) but I've been in a rut of fried starches and bread because of MANY food allergies. My mouth is an itchy fire pit everytime I eat my beloved fruits and veggies. Sometimes full blown reactions :(

Daisy said...

Wow this is so informative and helpful! Thank you for all the information. Great blog :)

Sara said...

Great info! Thank you!

Lauren said...

Just found your blog and I think it's super cute :) New follower!! Can't wait to read more.
Lauren @ Lemon Trees and Bumble Bees

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...