Tuesday, February 7, 2012

this is not a fairytale

I sooooo did not want to get out of bed this morning.
So I hit snooze for an hour. ONE HOUR!
Which means I missed my three-mile run this morning and will be doing a two-a-day tomorrow to punish myself make up for it.
Training for the Cap City Half Marathon started this week. More on my training schedule later.
Thinking about it makes me tired.
And excited.

Unless you live under a rock or are a new follower, you know that RIS turned 3 over the weekend!
{Feb. 5 to be exact, but who's counting besides me?}
So how does a blog celebrate its birthday?
With blog friends, real life friends, wine and LOTS of cheese {which Shawn and I will be eating for the next three months}.
Here is how the shindig went down, picture style:

{Wine bar courtesy of wine.com}

 {brie cups courtesy of the lovely Katie}

{cbus bloggers}

 {real life friends}

{parting shot}

Wouldn't you know that in my flurry to get ready for this party that I forgot to charge my camera, which died right on cue after only pictures of the food.
And I've yet to recharge it, so I borrowed photos from Alicia and Katie. Thanks for being on top of it, girls!
I had so much fun entertaining and laughing and talking with these ladies all night.
Seriously, they rock my socks.
A BIG THANK YOU to Katie, Alicia, Callie, Kelsey, Lindsay, Katy, and my BFF Kristen.
My heart is so full from their friendship and support.

So I promised last week to tell you my blogging story and how the heck I ended up here. 
Running in Stilettos.
This is not a fairytale.
I started my first blog, whose name I will not reveal, in late 2007 or early 2008.
I was working in a toxic environment for an association I will not name.
I was miserable and negative all the time.
And my blog reflected as much.
I made the mistake of putting the name of my work in a post, and violá, it was discovered by a co-worker who turned it in to our executive director. 
I gave my co-workers nicknames in my blog, but it was evident who I was talking about.
I almost got fired.
Free speech saved me.
God, I love this country.
I just wanted a place to vent, an outlet for my crummy attitude, and I thought blogging was the answer.
And it can be when you don't mention your company name on your blog while venting.
Lesson learned.
But you can't always vent. No one likes a Negative Nancy.
So I "deleted" that blog and got a new job.

Once I was in a better place employment-wise, I started a new blog for all the good things in my life.
But it turns out, you can't jump to that extreme either.
It's boring. When you bore yourself, you really know you're boring.
So, I settled for being myself and birthed Running in Stilettos. It's a girl.
Real. Raw. Me.
Third time is a charm - or more charming than tries one and two.
Yes, most of the time I am happy and my life is good.
And that is often reflected here.
But RIS is helping me learn to share the real, sometimes tough parts of my life.
And for that I am grateful.
And not bored.

For the first time, I feel like I am part of the whole wonderful, fabulous, amazing blogging community.
Not just a bystander looking in at all the other successful bloggers, who already had the guts to share themselves with the world.
I am meeting bloggers, I'm commenting on blogs, people are commenting on my posts.
I have blogger turned real life friends.
WOAH!
I cannot begin to explain the overwhelming feeling of being understood, loved and supported by all of you.
It melts my heart.
It humbles my soul.
I started blogging as a hobby, like many of you I'm sure, but now it's a part of who I am.
My name is Holly and I'm a blogger. It has a nice ring to it, eh?
I'm starting to tell more people about this little ol' blog. 
And not be embarrassed to explain what the heck a blog is, and answer the question of what the heck do I blog about.

I am proud of my blog.
I am proud to be a blogger.
And I have all of you to thank for your support.

THANK YOU
from the bottom of my humble heart.
xoxo
P.S. Head on over to Ashlee's blog! She's hosting her first giveaway and it's a doozy!
P.P.S. Stop by Lori's blog to enter her first giveaway!
Photobucket

14 comments:

Neely said...

Looks super fun!

the girl in the red shoes said...

Good luck on your run! LOVE reading your blog everyday! xoxo

Carolyn said...

Looks like a great party! :) Good luck on the running. YOU CAN DO IT!

Also - I agree with you on the blogging community! I'm so glad I've gotten to know so many girls from it! Love it!!

CALLIE said...

Love reading your blog!!!

lori said...

wow! i love this. thanks for being so real... i love reading your blog because it is fluff-less... its obvious that you put a lot into it, and are who you are.

Katie said...

I just have to make an announcement: I love RIS and your friendship! You are a real GEM! <3

Ashlee @ They Lived Happily Ever After... said...

Mega points for the shout out! May you win the coolest bag ever!:)

Steph @ Professors_Wife said...

Congrats to you, darlin'! I'm so glad to have had a chance to meet and hang with you. I wish you nothing but the best, plenty of great blogging for the future!

I can attest to how life-changing blogging can be - It's completely turned my world and my career around, for the better. It played a huge part in my getting acquainted with my new home in NY, getting a job, and making new friends. It's been a life saver. Best of all? It's FUN. :)

Keep running in stilettos, my dear :)

Lourdes Echagarruga said...

This post is great. I am glad that you have found a space to be you. That is what my blog is all about. I started it to vent/ journal/ be myself. I needed a space to write my thoughts and ideas without worrying about what others think. And that's what it is. I don't care about how many followers I have. I don't care who reads it. As long as I can be myself and not hide myself. But, having followers/ readers is definitely a plus. It has been amazing!

So, I am glad that your blog is helping you and that you have reached 3 years!


I love your blog.
XO Lourdes

Ashley said...

I love your blog! I love that you're real! I feel like people respond to that the best. Congrats on your anniversary! :)

KatyK said...

I'm so glad that the third time was the charm and I'm so happy to be a reader and to have met you in real life...at first I felt kind of like a stalker but I'm totally over it now :)

Bethany said...

Congratulations! And your party looks like a blast :)

Tabitha Mahoney said...

You can do it!!


Tab
my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

Erin said...

So glad to read your story on blogging-I had no idea any of this! Anyhow, just wanted to say that I'm so glad you stuck with it bc I love reading but Ive loved getting to know you even better :) keep up the good work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...