Tuesday, May 29, 2012

back to basics

I've been thinking.
Scary, right?!
I've been thinking about this little piece of blogland that I call Running in Stilettos.
Lately, I've been struggling to think of good blog topics. Darn bloggers block.
And I think I finally figured out why.
Let me preface this by saying that I am amazed that so many of you actually read my ramblings.
I feel so blessed.
But the reason I think that I've been struggling with what to write is because I've been trying to entertain you. 
Writing what I think you want me to write about or what you want to read about.
And not knowing most of you in real life, that's just not realistic and frankly next to impossible!
If you like it, you'll read it. If you don't, you won't.
Am I right?!

After writing my post on Friday (thank you all for your sweet comments!), I realized something.
That post was exactly the type of stuff I need to be writing.
Not sappy and mushy stuff, but real, say-how-I-feel stuff.
It felt genuine. It felt right.
It felt like me.

I feel like I've gotten away from these "real" posts because I think so much about what I think others want to read. 
It's silly, I know. But I do. And I don't know why.
But I realized something else.
I didn't start this blog to entertain anyone. Or to keep up with any "Joneses."
I started blogging back in 2007, before I really even understood or knew what a blog was.
I started blogging as a creative outlet to balance out my then boring job in a toxic environment.
Plus, I love to write.
I've been writing stories since I learned how to hold a pencil and form sentences.
Just ask my mom.
I don't claim to be the best or even good at it, I just like it and I started a blog because I wanted to write.

And that's what I want to continue doing.
I want to write honestly and freely.
Please don't think I haven't been genuine in the posts I've written because I certainly have. 
I just know that I've held myself back.
Mostly because I put WAAAAY too much time, energy and thought into what I think others will think.
I think they call that being self-conscious.

So it's back to basics I go.
Back to blogging because I love writing. 
Because it's my creative outlet and how I can best express myself.
Be myself.

I think I just needed a little reminder.

Also, part of this back to basics thing is knowing that I'm not a savvy business person and this blog isn't a business.
I will still offer paid sponsor spots if you're interested, but I am most excited about all the button swaps I have done with fabulous bloggers over the past couple of months.
Who doesn't love some free, positive PR and meeting/being exposed to new bloggers?!
I've added a new Button Swap page that includes some of my buttons and info about how we can swap-a-lop!
Plenty of spots available for June! Email me if you're interested :)

Happy Tuesday after a long weekend, doll faces.
P.S. I think all weekends should be three-day weekends. Who's with me?! 


Photobucket

16 comments:

Mrs. Williams {Persnickety Plates} said...

Very well said. I like it. I have family & friends that don't understand why I'm not trying to make money off my blog. It's for ME. It's my hobby. That's all. =)

Rachel said...

I just want to say I think that is awesome. I only recently discovered your blog but I just wanted to say I feel the same way and could totally relate to your post about writing a blog for yourself and not to keep up with the joneses. I know I don't know much about blogging myself (even still and I've been writing for 3 years now) and I am sure there are people out there reading it but I know I write mostly for myself.

I also just wanted to say how much I could relate to your sentiments about writing, and how it really is a creative outlet, I feel like I'm in that same boat! I am glad I found your blog and look forward to reading more 'real' posts!

Nicole said...

I feel the same way as you do...I feel blogged out. Maybe I need to get back to basics too. Btw i'm having a giveaway on my blog!

Amanda said...

I'm a new blogger and just learning basics! I've sent you an email about swapping :) Hope your Tuesday is wonderful!!

Carolyn said...

I love this! I go through phases where I try to "please" other bloggers, but I try to remember why I started the blog. :)

Mary said...

I'm with you!

And I totally understand the blogger block. You're so right: blog about what makes you YOU. I love your writing, so I know I'll stay a faithful reader! Congrats on embracing your talents!! :)

Sami said...

Love this! I soemtime do the same thing! I always wonder if people are going to like my posts but at the end of the day I should write about whatever I want to! You got the right idea lady :) Going to check out this swap business right now!

J and A said...

Love this. My blog is just about my life and what I love and feel. If others enjoy reading that makes my day and if they don't, that fine. My family love reading!! :) thanks for posting this, well said.

Katy said...

LOVE this post! I hate when some of my favorite blogs seemed to become too planned and drafted - the best reads are the ones that written by someone being free and open. You're a great writer and I'm happy you seem to have found the "second wind" you needed!

Katy
www.momentsofmusing.com

Beverly said...

amen to being true to yourself.. takes you some time to get back to the starting point, but glad you were able to get there this weekend! do you boo boo!!

xo,
Bev

Kelly { MessyDirtyHair } said...

Love it!!!!! I agree w you 100%. Be you. Say what you want. Do what you want & if someone doesn't like it oh well it's YOUR life. I am so happy to have button swaped w you!!! Have a wonderful rest of the week!

Xo

Erin Heydt said...

I preach it all the time. Blog for you. If people read it, then it's a bonus.

KRISTIN said...

LOVE this! I just went through this a few months ago, it was all about people pleasing and doing what everyone else was doing...BORING! I'm so glad you're back to blogging for you. :)

Miss Chelsea said...

I feel like we all get wrapped up in this at some point! The funny part is, I never go back and read my fluffy posts... but like the ones about breakups and makeups and serious matters, I've ventured back to multiple times. Welcome back amiga

Jade Sierra said...

There's nothing better than reading a 'real' post. I'd rather read ramblings any day rather than some 'fluffed up mess'. :) Proud to say I'm your newest follower! :) I hope to get a follow back. I'm all about rambling & complete randomness, as well! :)

http://justplainjade.blogspot.com

XoXo

-Jade Sierra-

callie ;) said...

i adore you just as you are - opinions and craziness and all the wonderful things that make you YOU. i'm excited to read more from-the-heart posts, because your honesty, openness, and creativity are three of the things i love about you the most. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...