Friday, June 1, 2012

{five things} for which i will never overpay

Now that is a grammatically correct post title if I've ever typed one.
Caught myself wanting to put the "for" at the end.
But not today, grammar nazis {i.e. you and you}. I'm on to you.

Hot damn, it's Friday!!!!
And I am so excited because this weekend I actually get to relax!
I'm having dinner tonight with this cat, but the rest of the weekend, I'm taking full advantage of not having plans!
That means I can catch up of homework, DIYs, my sister's baby shower stuff, organize a few things, and read more about Mr. Christian Grey! I'm just getting to the good stuff in the first book. Yeah, buddy!

But first, I've got to let you in on a secret.
Deep in my body somewhere is a tiny bone named frugality. It talks to me when I'm shopping.
And that betch is always right, and  has an impeccable knack for making me feel guilty for spending too much.
But she and I can agree on some things.
Particularly the things for which I will NOT overpay {there's that grammar thing again}.
Here are five of them:

#1. Workout Gear

Source: google.com via Whitney on Pinterest

I'm sorry all you Lulu Lemon lovers.
You look adorable strutting around the gym, but this chick just cannot justify spending over $100 on a pair of yoga pants that are just going to soak up ass sweat.

#2. Makeup


Source: google.com via Katie on Pinterest


Now, I know this is a tricky one.
I know some of you ladies have sensitive, oily and whatever adjective-you-want-to-throw-in skin.
I can sympathize with that.
Fortunately, my skin isn't too bad, which lends itself nicely to cheap makeup products.
Enter E.L.F. I am in love!
Hello, cheap, awesome cosmetics!

#3. Food

Source: google.com via Tracey on Pinterest

Whether grocery shopping or picking a restaurant {which is quite the ordeal in our house since we're extremely indecisive}, I opt for cheap.
Classy grocery shopping means Giant Eagle, and that rarely happens. I mean so rare I can probably count our trips on one hand.
Classy dining means we're going to Olive Garden.
Shawn and I are simple creatures when it comes to food, thanks to mild cases of IBS and a love of chicken fingers.
I'm sure we're missing out a little on some good eating, but it all comes out the same in the end, right?
I'm not flushing $150 Melting Pot meals down the can.
No way, José!

#4. Home Decor



Do I love the look of Pottery Barn decor?
You betcha.
But I think the fun of decorating is using Pottery Barn and other high end home goods stores as inspiration and bargain hunting for the perfect pieces that can help you recreate the look.
And I always feel so accomplished when a room comes together and there is still money left over for the next room.

#5. Clothing




99.9% of the time my duds are from Old Navy, Forever 21 or Target.
I know some people worry about quality when buying cheaper clothes. But I haven't had any issues with these establishments and their clothing.
Old Navy is great for classics that don't go out of style with the trends of the season. Forever 21 is good for your trendy, stylish garb. And Target is great for basics.
I've never been a name brand kinda girl. 
In order to satisfy my shopping addiction and keep my wallet {and husband} happy, I just can't splurge on, what I consider to be, fancy clothes.
I figure as long as you dress for your body, it doesn't matter where your clothes come from.

And a bonus:

#6. Accessories

 Especially sunglasses.
I ruined two pairs alone last weekend. Good thing they were on clearance for less than $5.

Please don't be offended if you choose to spend your money on some of these things.
But in my head, I just can't justify the expense, especially when my main goal is buying a house in the next decade year or two. I've got to keep my eye on the prize! And feed my shop addiction along the way.
I am not judging anyone's spending habits. 
You can misuse your funds however you see fit {i kid, i kid}.
And I will do the same.
Capiche?

Shop on, my little shoppettes!

Photobucket

27 comments:

tiff@thecoffeehouse said...

I went to the Melting Pot once.
Emphasis on ONCE.
I will not be going back. You can buy 150 cheeseburgers from the dollar menu for the price of 'dinner for 2' at the pot. That's my new name for it ... cause it's too dang expensive.

Alana Christine said...

I completely agree with most of these. Although, I have been known to drop a lot of money on Coach. haha

Melanie said...

Im right there with ya girl. Preach it.

Kelly { MessyDirtyHair } said...

i agree 100% with the workout clothes. its like are you serious? really you spent that? when target has aaaamazing work out clothes! its annoying when people buy just for the name! have a wonderful weekend lover!!!


Today starts my OPI & Essie Nail Polish Giveaway! Check it Out!

xo Kelly

Samantha George-Realtor said...

Love this! Don't forget consignment stores & even goodwill!
... but Melting Pot is oh so good... granted I've only been there a couple of times, but I love it! You gotta splurge sometimes!

Good job planning ahead to buy a house!!

Katie said...

agree!! I have gone to the melting pot once or twice for ladies night and it was $15 for the cheese fondue, a salad and chocolate fondue - which was totally worth it! but I wouldn't go there if it weren't for that. and I buy one pair of $5 every year or so and could not justify paying much more!!

caitlin said...

I'm with ya on the lulu lemon duds! I rock out in Target work out clothes & they work just great!

Sierra said...

i agree 100% on all of these!! love elf products!

Christina said...

Is it weird that I was hoping the second tag was me? I saw you linked to Callie and was like "oh man, I hope I'm the other link." HA!! I'm proud of your grammatically correct title!

I totally agree about overpaying for exercise gear. Why would we do that? A)we sweat all over it and B)champion stuff from target is SO great. I'm actually decked out in it as I type this!

2. I go back and forth with makeup. While I love MAC products, I can't always afford them so I do buy a lot of drugstore mascaras when I find one I like. I really need to check out the elf stuff, especially bc it's at target!

3. Food is also a tough one for me bc I'm obsessed with it. Ok, let me clarify. I rarely buy myself expensive food but I'm totally okay with letting someone else buy it for me, haha!

4. Agreed. I live at Target (omg again), TJ Maxx, and Marshalls.

5. Do I have to pull the Target card again? Yup. I get clothes from there, and everything else I buy on SALE at other stores I love.

Judging by my lengthy comment, can you tell I loved this post? :) HAPPY WEEKEND!!

Jenna said...

The Melting Pot is overrated. You fork over an arm and a leg and you get such a small amount of food. I'm a die- hard Olive Garden fanatic!

Alicia @ To Columbus and Beyond! said...

I so agree with you on so much except the food. I have had the serious privilege of eating at some seriously awesome restaurants - but I am cheap too, so if I am paying we ain't going. If he pays, different story.

Loved dinner with you tonight. We straight cray.

Stephanie said...

I HATE spending $$ on workout stuff too...so I just ask for it for Christmas lol. I'm so bad I still wear old sports bras from high school!

Don't you LOVE Elf?! I use everything except their liquid foundation these days and am so incredibly pleased!

Liz with the Lovely Life said...

I got THE best deal on lululemon pants this week- there was an auction of brand new designer clothing and I won the bid for them for $50! I am pretty proud of myself!!

Mary said...

hahaha I KNEW you were referring to Christina and Callie! That was awesome!

Meghan @ Shine On said...

I'm totally with you on everything except, maybe, the food. This girl LOVES me some Melting Pot. ;)

Keep Shining,
Meghan

Aly @ Analyze This said...

You and I are the same!!! Now, I will say this about workout clothes. I am a target buyer. Or Zella from Nordies (only on sale) .... BUT, I am 5'10 and Lucy.com has TALL workout yoga pants. They're 98 bucks, but I have two pairs. Bought them 4 years ago. So those are worth it. Other than that? I spend 10 bucks at Target. Or heck, I do Danskin from Wal-Mart!!

Jeremy and Megan said...

I'm new to your blog, love this post!!

Jer & I splurge on good eats on (rare) date nights but also love cooking together in the kitchen :)

I'm an elf fan as well, love the mineral mascara, hd powder, primer and liquid eyeliner. I don't love their eyeshadow but heard the mineral powder is really good! Still have yet to try it!

I LOVE Old Navy & Target for basics and workout/lounge clothes too! Also love VS when they have sales are my fave for tshirts now as well. SO soft and love the bright colors!!

Courtney @ The Daily Wags said...

I completely agree! Sunglasses that I purchase are NO more than $10 and are usually one in less than a week!

Kristin W said...

I'm the same! Workout gear, make up and clothing (although this may be different if I actually MADE decent money). Food on the other hand...nothing much compares to the quality restaurants we have spent a bit more money on. Nonetheless, I'd much rather spend hard earned money on memories (like traveling) than items.

Carly said...

Haha, I agree on workout clothes! I buy all mine at Target!
Just found your blog, can't wait to read more!

Carly
www.lipglossandcrayons.com

Jamie said...

Being a foodie, I can justify expensive meals out (but not groceries!!). However, I'm in complete agreement with you on the workout gear and sunglasses. I've broken or lost so many pairs of sunglasses I'd be too afraid to ever buy expensive ones.

The Blue Hour

Myra said...

So with you on everything but the food! Hubs & I are big foodies, but that doesn't mean we aren't down for some cheap food if we can get it!!

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire said...

Not only do I agree with you, but I do not have the bank account to support what so many other bloggers are buying and strutting their stuff in!

Miss Chelsea said...

We are one in the same my friend!

I was taken on a date to Melting Pot, and while good, totally not worth the money. I can't believe people go there regularly

Whitney @ Everything Happens For a Reason said...

I'll overpay on makeup and food, but everything else? No way.

JMc said...

Lol! I love #1. I cannot understand spending that much on things to get sweaty in. Out of the different varieties of workout options I've tried, Target remains my favorite all around. Although, I've never tried Lulu Lemon lol. And never will.

It's all about priorities. I'm saving for a house and putting my daughter through private school so I definitely cut corners where I can and where things aren't that important to me. My splurge items are usually things I ask for for Christmas or my birthday.

Kristin said...

I do most my clothes shopping at Target! no complaints

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...