Tuesday, July 24, 2012

basic style

I am a sucker for wardrobe basics.
They are comforting and challenging all at the same time.
The comfort part is obvious but the challenge? 
I love challenging myself to create comfy, chic outfits using the most simple pieces in my closet.
One of my all-time favorites is the white t-shirt.
I get mine at Target {$8, or often on sale for $6}.
White tees are sexy.
{so are scarves}



{tee: Target; dress, shoes, belt: Old Navy; scarf: Kohls}



{tee and crops: Target; scarf: Forever 21; shoes: Old Navy}

What's funny is that sometimes the simplest outfits give me the most confidence.
Do any of you feel this way?
There was nothing fancy about those outfits I wore, but I felt awesome. Especially in that first one.
I'm chalking it up to a good hair day. And being comfortable.

When I read Amanda's post yesterday about her personal style, she got me thinking.
Usually when someone asks about my style, I reply with "I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda girl."
This is true. I am.
I do love me a good worn in t-shirt and jeans.
But now I'm wondering if that response is more about my personality and not really my style.
Maybe it's both.
I mean, I like to think that I'm pretty laid back most of the time, but I have my fussy moments.
My style is the same way. Kinda. It's pretty casual, but it has it's fancy moments every once in awhile.
You smelling what I'm stepping in?
OK, good. I was hoping that made sense.

Anyway, Amanda said something that rang a bell with me.
You have to own your style.
I'm working on this, but I think I'm doing pretty well.
If you'd ask me today what my style is I'd probably tell you, "comfy chic."
I don't know if that's a real style, but it's mine.
And I'm going to OWN it.
You can buy shares if you'd like. ;)
They are cheap, just like my ad space {shameless plug}.

What's your favorite wardrobe basic to style?

P.S. Don't forget to enter my Christmas in July giveaway! Lots of goodies from some fabulous ladies :)

christmasinjulybutton200x200


Photobucket

27 comments:

Meg {henninglove} said...

i have tried to have my own style and can't seem to figure it out so i tend to stick to the basics like your outfits and they seem to work and hopefully i look cute

Shannon Dew said...

you look adorable, as usual, i think i have all the pieces to recreate the first look! so don't be surprised to see it!

Whitney @ I Wore Yoga Pants said...

Yes ma'am. I think I need to go get me some white t's. You are rocking them!

Amanda said...

you just made my day! from teh very first day I saw your blog...which was actually a long time ago...i have loved your style! and you know what...after seeing all of your cute maxi dresses worn with shirts...i became obsessed. i get compliments on those looks all the time.
xoxo

Sam @ reddyorknot.blogspot.com said...

such cute outfits and perfect for the (too soon!) transition into fall!

Alana Christine said...

Yeah, I don't think I really have a style. Hmm...

Alyssa @ Sugar, Spice, and a Dash of Advice said...

I love your dress in the first pictures.. and wearing a Tee over it is the best idea! I am so trying that. I definitely feel best when I'm comfortable so I feel ya!

Carolyn said...

We definitely have the same style... I love the name Comfy Chic. Perfect description.

Side note - I need that skirt. Details please. HAHA

Another side note - I think I have 7 of those same white t shirts in my closet.

Amy @ Not Your Average Baby Blog said...

I'm loving your style. I feel most confident when I'm dressed casually too. I'd rather have my hair and makeup do the talking. haha (that take s less effort for me!)

Loving your blog, new follower : )

lori said...

i tend to buy a lot of basics as well... but i don't necessarily think you have to have one style. like you said, its like your personality... and i often dress for my mood. i like to think there are multiple aspects of my style, just like there are of my personality!

lori said...

i tend to buy a lot of basics as well... but i don't necessarily think you have to have one style. like you said, its like your personality... and i often dress for my mood. i like to think there are multiple aspects of my style, just like there are of my personality!

lori said...

i tend to buy a lot of basics as well... but i don't necessarily think you have to have one style. like you said, its like your personality... and i often dress for my mood. i like to think there are multiple aspects of my style, just like there are of my personality!

tiff@thecoffeehouse said...

I think I'm gonna own your style instead. I like this comfy chic of yours. I love white tees and I love target. So I guess put me down for 125 shares.

Erin Heydt said...

Your facial expressions crack me up girl!

The Pink Growl said...

I'm a big fan of the white & black basic tees too. I also have white & black camis that I wear all the freaking time.

Katie said...

love both of those outfits! maxi skirts are so comfortable!

Alisa Marie said...

Love that outfit! The orange crops are so cute!

Kelly { MessyDirtyHair } said...

i love your ooftd mirror pics! theyre so cute! i love both outfits, but my fav pic is the 2nd one! you look like a model! loveyou! xoxo Kelly

Alicia Marie said...

Basic are always my favorite items to shop for. Give me a soft, oversized, pocket tee and I'm a happy camper! Your style is super cute by the way. :) I'm new around here so I hope you can check out my blog sometime!

Amy @ At the Pink of Perfection said...

I love your style, these two outfits are BEYOND fabulous! Glad I following now thru the GFC hop!

Jacqueline said...

LOVE both outfits but the first one - so chic. I think a simple tshirt can be so stylish. I've rocked the simple Vneck t for the last two days. {I found AMAZINGLY soft and perfect fitting ones at JCPenney this weekened... $6!!!}

I think owning your style is something that comes with age and comes with owning who you are as a whole. Once you are comfortable with that girl - you're comfortable with what she wears, and you rock it. And I think you are doing a stellar job, my dear!

The Students Wife said...

I love that first look! Totally my style. So easy to recreate too




Followme@ www.studentswife.com

Jamie said...

Wardrobe basics are definitely a cute tank w Jeans or jean shorts. Easy.

smk053078 said...

Basics are key and isn't it crazy how a simple white does really can be the piece that completes an entire outfit! Loving your looks, lady!!
Shanna

caitlin said...

when I read "I buy my white tees" I immediately starting 'in my white tee, in my white tee' in my head. {and maybe outloud...}

I love scarves, but I feel like that never look good on me. I think I just don't know how to wear them?

Sarah said...

I have more Target tees than I care to admit. They are just the perfect piece for just about every outfit! I wore a white one with a black maxi earlier this week and it was very 'comfy chic'!

Amber Callan said...

I love those looks!
So simple and chic (:
Also I really love your blog and I'm so excited to follow it. I hope you'll return the favor so we can stay in touch!

xx Amber
http://amberleetea.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...