Sunday, July 1, 2012

sunday social: style

Welp, Shawn and I are still without power.
The scene at the end of the road leading to our complex is grim.
Several power lines/poles are laying on the ground. Some fell on top of cars, trapping people for hours. They have referred to this little area of mass destruction as "ground zero."
A bit dramatic, but let's just say we're looking at being without power until July 7 or 8, or so they are reporting.
Until then, we'll be staying with my in-laws, who luckily never lost power during the storm on Friday.
Thank god or we'd be roasting in our condo, and our pups would have given new meaning to the words hot dog.
Even Alicia sought refuge at Hotel In-Laws last night.
It's a cruel summer, ya'll.
So, I'm linking up with Neely and Ashley to stay entertained on this scorching Sunday.
And we're talking one of my favorite topics: style!

Sunday Social

What's your favorite store to shop at?
You know me. Can't pick just one. Call me frugal, but I love me some Old Navy, Target and Forever 21.

If you could afford anything and everything, which designer brand would you covet?

If you've followed me for even a little bit, you know that I love me some fashion, but I must confess that I pay almost zero attention to designers. Honestly, even if I could afford them, I still probably wouldn't buy designer brands. The fun for me when shopping is finding expensive items for much less. Another confession, I would love to design my own clothes!

Must have closet staple?
Here are my must-haves for summer:

Wardrobe Essentials: Summer

1. Bright, patterned swimwear. Perfect for some fun in the sun by the pool!
2. A plain, white, v-neck tee. Easy to dress up or down and stay chic and cool!
3. Statement necklace. 'Nuff said.
4. Lightweight scarves. I may have mentioned my scarf obsession a few times.
5. Bright, flowy tanks. Perfect for summer nights on the patio.
6. Nude sandals. My BEST purchase of the summer! They go with everything!
7. Neon shorts. Fun, flirty, fabulous.
8. Aviators. Badass.
9. Colorful, stackable bracelets. All the rage right now.
10. Maxi dresses. I may have mentioned my obsession with maxis too.
11. Denim button down. Perfect for layering over a maxi, tank or tee!

Favorite kind of shoes {brand or type}?
WEDGES! Or flats.
The name of my blog is ironic because I don't think I even own a pair of stilettos.
I HATE uncomfortable shoes. I mean, what did my feet ever do to me?
I typically get my shoes at Old Navy, Target or DSW.

Best clothing deal you've ever gotten?
There is a warehouse called MJR here in Columbus and they sell Express, The Limited, Victoria's Secret and more clothing for super cheap! I'm talking $100+ dresses for $12.
And I just got the infamous $150 J Crew bubble necklace for $16.50 on Ebay. Score!

Style you'd love to try?
I'd love to be able to wear hats, but I have a pea-sized head and nearly all hats are too big for my dome. So I've chalked this up as a loss.
But I'd love to rock the boho chic or 50s glam or even a red carpet-worthy gown.

Tell us about your style and link up with Neely and Ashley!
Happy socializing, you lil stylish socialites.

Photobucket

14 comments:

Sami said...

We picked the same favorite stores! Great minds think alike ;)

KatyK said...

Lol I love that you're a frugal fashionista! I have also sought refuge at my mother's house. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Mary said...

I just got that necklace from Ebay, too! Yay for frugal finds!

That sucks about your power! Good luck!

Beauty Guide 101 said...

I love shopping at Forever 21! It's one of my favorite stores too! I'd love if you checked out my blog and let me know what you think! :)
-Amber
http://beautyguide101.blogspot.com/

Erin Heydt said...

Sounds like I need to come to you and visit the MJR warehouse! Sounds amazing!

Make sure you check out my blogiversary giveaway!

Claire Kiefer said...

I have that maxi dress from Old Navy in blue/teal and I love it! I went back to get this pink/red one, but it was already gone--no wonder, cause it's so cute!

I'm with you on the deals. However, if I could afford everything from Free People, I think I'd buy them out.

And I love wedges! They're my fave, especially in the summer.

Brook said...

I love plain white vneck tshirts! And I love scarves! Sorry about the power but I'm so glad you don't have to sit in the dark in the heat.

Chelsea said...

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about the power and mess that Mother Nature left with you guys :( We're in the same situation here... well, I have power but it's out just up the street and trees are down everywhere. Fingers crossed for you!

Now, I think we could be twins. My closet probably looks just like your closet haha. The only thing I don't have and need/want/look for everywhere is that dang denim button down!! I WILL get it by Fall! :)

Sam said...

Ummm meet you at MJR?? That sounds like shopping heaven!

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire said...

I hope you're able to get back into your home soon, Holly! I can't believe the outage may last until July 8!

KRISTIN said...

Boo girl, I hope you get power back soon!

Kelly { MessyDirtyHair } said...

I bet you look great in hats! I can totally see you in a fedora!!! Love your summer must haves!

Kristine said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe you are STILL without power! That's pure craziness. I went through a similar situation a few years ago... we were out of power for 11 days in the middle of a horrible winter storm. I don't know what's worse; being so dang cold with the power out or sweating you ass off during the summer with no power!
Hope it comes back soon love!

Melanie said...

What color bubble necklace did you go with?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...