Thursday, October 18, 2012

it's up to you, new york, new york

Thanks to my grandma's love for Frank Sinatra, I've had her favorite song, "New York, New York," stuck in my head all week :)
Which reminded of this one time.
Three of my friends and I decided it would be fun to take a red-eye bus {yes, I said bus} trip to NYC.
From Columbus, Ohio.


Now, this isn't just any bus.
It's called the Fun Bus.
And though the seats can't hold a candle to my Sleep Number, it was a blast.
Probably because they let you drink on the bus.
And let's be honest.
Who goes on a bus trip without wine?

We left around 6 p.m. on a Thursday and got there about 6 a.m. on Friday.
And we had 14 or so hours to explore
The bus dropped us off around the corner from Times Square, which was our first stop for a mini photoshoot.



Ever had your picture taken by a giant building?
Ever taken a picture of a picture taken by a giant building?
Ever wandered around for an hour just trying to find a public restroom? 
Ever see a drug addict try to steal someone's purse, get caught, restrained by pedestrians until police arrived, try to jump over the railing leading to the subway, finally arrested and screaming "let me go! I didn't do anything!" the whole time?
Welcome to New York.

So in 14 hours, we walked from Times Square to Lower Manhattan, stopping by the World Trade Center and saying hello to our homegirl, the Statue of Liberty.

And we fell in love with this guy:

We roamed around Chinatown hoping someone would take us into a back room full of knock-off purses to no avail, but we hit the restaurant jackpot in Little Italy.
We ate lunch at the Grotta Azzurra and it was phenomenal!
My family is Italian, so I know me some good eatin'. And that was good eatin'!
And not expensive for how delicious it was.

{you know it's good when it requires a napkin bib}

Then we hit up some of the quaint little shops in Little Italy.
Would you believe I got out of NYC only spending money on food and two scarves {don't act surprised about the scarves}?!

We walked and walked and walked some more just taking in the sights and sounds.
We eventually made our way to Central Park just because you can't go to NYC without going to Central Park.
And somewhere along the way, we journalism majors just had to snap this pic:

Overall, we were able to see and do everything we wanted in just a short amount of time.
And what could be better than spending a day in NYC with great friends?


So if you ever get the chance to take a bus to NYC for an inexpensive day-trip {about $100, but we had a Groupon for half off!}, do it.
All you need is comfy shoes, a pillow and cheap wine :)

Photobucket

21 comments:

Vicki said...

HEHE - sounds like such a fun day!!! I work right by the bull, I pass it at least twice every single day, I'll tell him you said hello ;)

tiff@thecoffeehouse said...

a picture of a picture taken by a giant building. I'll be honest, I got stuck on that one for a minute.

Katie said...

LOL this is great! I've heard of it before. Too funny. I feel like I'd need to stay longer?! and would be exhausted? But I do think it could work and would be a blast to party on that bus!

Katie said...

ps-been thinking about you guys!

Meg {henninglove} said...

one of my friends takes the fun bus up to ny for a day trip sounds like a blast and i wish i didn't live on the west coast i would go to ny any chance i got!

Amber said...

That sounds and looks like a blast! I'm gonna have to check into this fun bus!

Kiki said...

This sounds like such a blast! I love New York how can it not be a blast! All your pics were so fun!

Followed you

Xo

glammedbytarin.blogspot.com

smk053078 said...

Shut up!!!! I love you even more now!!! This is what life is all about...doing crazy fun things like this with your girls!! I am jealous! I have never been to N.Y.

Carolyn said...

I love it! Sounds like so much fun! And now I'm craving spaghetti! HAHA

Alana Christine said...

I have a sleep number bed, too!
I LOVE NYC and would definitely take a bus if I lived closer...I don't think a bus ride from Oklahoma to NYC would be very fun...

Jen said...

Oh I've always wanted to do this. How does one go about booking something like this?

Stephanie said...

Ummm Fun Bus??! WHY is there not one of these in Houston?? Our city really needs to GET WITH IT!!

Kelly { Messy.Dirty.Hair.} said...

How fun! I love New York. Except I don't know how I'd do on a bus ride that long...

Marisa said...

That sounds like such a fun adventure! I LOVE NY! It's magical during the holidays.

KRISTIN said...

SO FUN! I took a bus from Baltimore to NYC once, which isn't quite as long as Columbus, but still...

Best city in the world, these pics make me want to go back SO bad!

My-cliffnotes said...

What a fab trip

Emily said...

What a fun trip...and so cheap too! I never knew there was a bus that would take you from cbus to NYC!

Emily
Simple Suburbia

Janna Renee said...

I absolutely LOVE New York! That bus sounds pretty dang fun too!

Laura Darling said...

This sounds like so much fun! I've been to NYC a few times but always for very structured trips. I'd love to go for a day and just wander around!

Kristin said...

this sounds like an awesome time! NYC is the best

Bev said...

these are the moments we live for... random bus trips with dranks on board and good friends surrounding you!! looks like you all enjoyed your day there! I strive to go to NY one day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...