Thursday, October 25, 2012

my three simple rules for diy-ing

I'm not much of a DIY-er.
I truly aspire to be super crafty, and I love to admire craftiness from afar.
Usually pretty far away actually.
If my memory serves me correctly, I've done exactly four DIY projects since moving into our house five years ago.
But my DIY Pinterest board {you can follow me here} contains an impressive 574 pins.
If that's not aspiration, I don't know what is.

Even though I've pinned 168462165847 574 DIY projects on Pinterest, I have three simple rules that I follow when choosing the DIY projects I will undertake:

1. If it costs more to make it than to buy it. Just buy it. 
Duh. This is common sense.

2. If it requires more than five materials {outside of things I already own}, it's probably too complicated and would be less hassle just to buy it.
It's called a DIY project for goodness sakes, it should be simple or else no one will do it themselves. 

3. If it requires sewing more than a small hole or a button, have Mom do it.
Guys, I don't sew. Every once in a while I get the itch to learn. It goes away quickly.
I've even thought about asking for a sewing machine for Christmas once. And only once.
But my mom loves it. And I love making my mom happy.
Daughter of the year right here, folks.

Maybe one day there will only be two rules that I follow when it comes to DIYs. Maybe.

Anyway, back to my aspiring to be crafty.
A fellow Cbus-er and a sexy Texan have crafted {pun intended} a new link up {with which I think you should definitely link up!}:


So I thought I'd share one of my favorite {remember there are only four} DIYs that I've done.
Confetti on canvas!


Kate Spade inspired.
Super easy.
I made two of these bad boys back in January. 
And I'm ashamed to say that they are still waiting to be hung.
But that's not the point.
The point is, thanks to Katie and Steph, and after a near nine-month hiatus, I'm ready to try this whole DIY thing again.
I've mentioned that Shawn and I {OK, pretty much just me} are revamping our home decor, which is going to require a bit of DIY-ing to save some dollars.
Here is a project {or similar} that will get completed during our revamping {now that I've seen the design plans from my beautiful, talented friend, Amber!}:


A little fabric on some boards. Nothing short of genius. Ha.
Stay tuned for that reveal and to see where these bad boys will be in our house!
 
Now, go enjoy some bevies on this Thirsty Thursday, sweet thangs!
And link up with Katie and Steph!


Photobucket

6 comments:

Katie said...

haha thanks for linking up woman! I loved this canvas you shared a while back. you must hang that bad boy :) looks so good!!

Holly said...

I love your DIY confetti canvas. I'm obsessed with Kate Spade!

Your DIY rules are so right on haha

callie ;) said...

i want that canvas!! now off to read your post about how to potentially create my own... :)

Kiki said...

I cant wait to see how they turn out!

XoXo

Bev said...

I totes agree with you girlie... I love the DIY projects, especially after Pinterest has made a grand entrance in my life, but I learned the hard way that some DIY's are far way more expensive than the real deal... AFTER my wedding :/

I always wanted to learn how to sew, but lessons are still needed!!

Love your confetti canvas though.. super adorable and would look great on the wall!!!

Stephanie said...

Aww yay!!! Sorry I'm just now catching up on all of these! LOVE that confetti board and fabric on big boards + hung on the wall...pretty effing genius!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...