Wednesday, October 17, 2012

now

Yesterday, I read this amazing post by the sweet, and fellow Cbus blogger, Emily.
And then I got to thinking.
Am I missing out on things that I want to do because I'm waiting for someone to do them with me?
Now, if you know me and how hectic my weekly schedule can be, you'd think I don't miss out on anything.
It's true. I hate missing out on things.
But after reading Emily's post, I realized that there are so many things, that I really want to do, that I have put off doing because, yes, I'm waiting for someone else to be interested in doing them with me or waiting for the perfect time.


 It seems cliché, but with my grandma's passing, I am reminded that life doesn't come with guarantees. You've got to live each day and enjoy it. That's your right as a human being.
Sure, we all have responsibilities that require our time and attention, but we also have to make the time to do the things that matter to us. The things that interest us. The random crap that you're like, "hey, I kinda wanna try that."

Now, I want to preface this by saying it isn't meant in a bad way at all.
But sometimes the person I am waiting on is Shawn.
Sometimes I ask him to do things that I think he's probably not interested in, in hopes that maybe I'm wrong. And when he doesn't answer, which is his version of "no," often times I settle for not doing whatever is, too.
And that is just silly on my part.
The truth is, though Shawn and I are similar in a lot of ways, we are definitely different when it comes to our interests outside the home. He is very much a home body {not a bad thing at all}, and while I do enjoy a cozy night in, I love getting out and trying new things.
And because I enjoy my husband, I want him to try these new things with me. But when he's not interested, I usually end up putting those things off.



Well, not anymore!
I don't think there is ever a "perfect" time.
I don't think that you should put things off just because you don't want to do them on your own.
We all have different interests, and that's OK! That's what makes us human...and awesome!
I plan on continuing to ask Shawn to try new things with me, but I'm not going to put them off if he's not interested.

Emily had an amazing idea, too.
She is taking the 101 in 1001 challenge {check out her list} and for each thing she completes, she's putting $10 in her savings.
So clever, that one.
Now, I'm starting my own list.
Because I want to.

Photobucket

13 comments:

Audra said...

I pledge to do at least 10 of your 101 things with you :)

Katie said...

I'm kind of in the same boat. My husband is a workaholic so when he does have free time he prefers to spend a good portion of that time relaxing around the house. I love me some relaxing time with the hubs, but I feel the same way when I want to do something and he isn't on board I kind of just push the thought of it out of my mind for a while.

CALLIE said...

Ok, we and our hubs are identical!! Sometimes you just have to be adventurous without them ha :)

Chelsea Lennox said...

I am constantly waiting for my boyfriend to want to do the things I want to do...and visa versa!!! Sometimes you just gotta do things on your own :)

Hollie Ann said...

Loved this post! I totally relate. My boyfriend and I spend all weekend together and usually a night during the week but I say no to some things on the weekend simply because both of dont want to do that. We can totally miss eachother for a few hours! It's healthy to have separate hobbies but sometimes I just want to be with him so I don't do things I really want to. Like...going to the flower fields...or a fashion show...or wine tasting party.

Hollie Ann said...

PS- mine does the no answer thing too. BOYS!

My-cliffnotes said...

What a fabulous idea! I'd totally do things with you if we shared a city!

Beth said...

I am just now learning to do this and I am OLD (the music I listened to as a teenager is on the oldies station!)! Good for you for learning it "NOW"! You'll be much happier and satisfied in the long run! And if and when you have kids, it's a great lesson to teach them; that's what I'm hoping for!

Megan said...

I don't think enough of us live in the now, and I do the same thing. If my husband doesn't want to do something with me, I put it off and that's not good! Love the idea of the 101 in 1001 challenge - that's awesome :)

emily said...

i love that my post inspired your post. that means it was worth it to me to let it all out! :)

if you ever need someone to do something with, or go out with when the hubs doesn't want to, just holler! :)

KatyK said...

I've definitely been feeling this lately...I put off a lot of things because I don't have someone to do it with me...or because I make up some other reason. Its important to live life while you can for sure.

Design Apprentice said...

Holly! Love this post. I feel the same way with Bob. It's funny because when you really think about it, what scares us from doing these things on our own? Happy to have read it, reminds me to try things on my own! xx

Janna Renee said...

There are times when I put off asking Will to do things because I know he won't like them and he gets mad at me. He says he wants to do those things for me. I used to think that was silly, but now I see it as sweet. I just make sure that I do the things that he wants to do too :) However, in our relationship- he's the extrovert and I'm the introvert.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...