Tuesday, October 2, 2012

random acts of kindness




I'm so excited to be guest posting on Holly's blog today! If you have never visited my blog before, let me first introduce myself. Hello, I'm Brittany from {Not So} Newlyweds. I am married with two fur babies and teach 5th grade. I started blogging several years ago, but recently started a new blog for family and friends. Blogging has been such a great outlet, a way to keep memories, allows me to get in all sorts of trouble with home projects, and is a great way to meet new friends!

Today, I wanted to tell you a little about my birthday. Yes, you read that correctly. There will be no talk about home projects, party planningfall fashion, or teaching. Today it's all about me. :)

My birthday is less than a month away, but I'm thinking about it already. Thursday, September 27th, marked twenty-eight days until my 28th birthday. On that day, I promised myself that each day until my 28th birthday I would do at least one random act of kindness. I would continue to do this until my birthday on October 24th. I also asked my readers to join in and keep track of their random acts of kindness, whether they participate one or twenty-eight days, and link up at the end.

You might think that it's easy to come up with twenty-eight random acts of kinds and at first I thought it would be easy too! But then it started to become difficult. I really didn't want to spend money every day so I had to get creative! I looked on Pinterest for some ideas, but I honestly found more the internet {gasp} than on Pinterest. My list of "things to do" has grown and I'm so excited to cross off an idea every day.


  • Pay for someone's {coffee} order in the line behind me
  • Leave an extra tip for your waitress
  • Write/Send a Thinking of You card to a friend
  • Invite a friend over for dinner (coming over Tuesday)
  • Take your neighbor's trashcans up to the garage
  • Make a special treat for your coworkers
  • Let the person in line behind of you at the store go in front of you
  • Renew an old friendship by sending them a letter
  • Leave a small token of appreciation for the mailman
  • Help out a family member or friend (and will continue)
  • Write notes of appreciation
  • Say something nice to everyone you see that day
  • Donate clothing
  • Put quarters into the grocery carts at Aldi
  • Write anonymous, loving post it notes for strangers to find them
  • Pre-pay vending machines
  • Ask others what you can do to help them
  • Leave the nice parking spots for other people
  • Clean up a school's playground
  • Take a friend out for coffee (your treat)
  • If you see an older person or soldier eating alone, pay for their meal
  • Send a dessert to another table
  • Give a coupon to those who are waiting in line

    With three weeks left, I would love for you to participate in my birthday celebration. Stop by my blog to grab my button and share it with your readers. How cool would it be to have 100 people link up on my birthday to share all of the wonderful acts of kindness they have done over the last twenty-eight days?!


    Photobucket

    I think it would be the best birthday gift ever.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Go say hello to my fellow Buckeye, Brittany and encourage her through her challenge! Heck, join her in doing random acts of kindness! Though I'm sure you're all doing very nice things for others every day ;)

    Happy Tuesday, cats and kittens :)


  • Photobucket

    9 comments:

    Hilary said...

    Cute idea!! I love the pre-pay vending machine one!

    Alice Bradford said...

    i'm writing my own acts of kindness and i'm still stuck at number 5 :p

    you can be kind too and visit my blog just for the heck of it... or because i loved reading yours
    xo
    Alice
    http://blackstilettosshoes.com/

    Beth said...

    I love this! I'm always talking about how I want to do more random acts of kindness. I need to stop talking and start doing.

    My-cliffnotes said...

    Well I feel selfish I want presents lol

    Love this idea

    Kelly { Messy.Dirty.Hair.} said...

    Omg I love this! Such a great idea! I will def play along especially bc your sponsoring my penpal holly! Xo

    tiff@thecoffeehouse said...

    Such a great idea! Fellow Buckeye huh? I will definitely be encouraging her ... love this challenge!

    smk053078 said...

    Seriously, could this be any sweeter??? Thanks for introducing me to her!!

    Meg {henninglove} said...

    i love the idea of paying for an older person's or soldier's meal that is a great way to give back!!

    Janna Renee said...

    You must be an extremely awesome person to be doing this! We should all do this and take a cue from you!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...