Tuesday, May 28, 2013

well that put a sizable dent in my week

 photo photo3_zps6ec97235.jpg

I'm sure there are worse ways to spend four hours of one's day, but this is how I spent morning today. On my way to work this morning, I slowed to a stop at a yellow light that was about to turn red. While I watched the guy in the middle of the intersection turn left in front of me, I was jolted forward. A few choice expletives later, I realized that I'd been rear ended. And of course it was pouring down rain. Why oh why did this have to happen the day my pretty baby was getting a free car wash?! I'd been putting off bathing her for weeks and was actually happy to see the rain washing away the bird poop that had collected on my hood and roof from parking under a tree at work. Shit!

While it completely sucks that this happened, I'm glad I, as well as the people who hit me, are OK. But I'm still super pissed. My poor car! I'm guessing she wasn't paying attention and definitely not going the 5-10 mph she tried to tell the cop, who called her bluff, that she was going when she hit me. Did you see my car?! Let's have another looksee...

 photo photo_zpsc3066ba5.jpg

 photo photo2_zps696568de.jpg

5-10 mph, my patootie! Shawn guesses more like 20-25 mph. But whatever. I'm fine, they're fine. It could have been worse. And here are a few things I've learned through this experience:

1. Always be the bigger person and, if possible, get out of your car to make sure everyone is OK. This clearly wasn't my fault, but I knew I was OK, so I got out to check on the other driver, even before I looked at the damage to my car. And there is no need to be a bitch about things, so just be nice. Those people didn't mean to hit me, so I wasn't about to make them feel worse for doing so.

2. Call the police and make sure your side of the story is heard. Homegirl just wanted to exchange information. Um, my car is jacked and so is yours. Yes, we will exchange information once the cops arrive.

3. Call your husband, boyfriend, mom, dad, brother, sister, best friend to process. Thank goodness for Shawn and his uncanny ability to understand my gibberish between sobs {I started crying after I saw the damage to my brand new car}. And his clear-headed thinking. He was able to talk me through next steps, calm me down and make me feel better.

4. While waiting for the cops, call your insurance company and at least get your claim started. You're not doing anything else, so why not.

5. Call your boss. And if you're able to take the rest of the day off or at least the next four hours, do it.

6. Take your car straight to the body shop, if it's drivable. I am lucky that the place from which I leased my car has a body shop. I know they will fix it right because it's their car...technically :) Big shout out to Krieger Ford and Jerry Brown {if you're in the market for a new Ford, call Jerry}.

7. Call Enterprise. They'll pick you up. But don't be afraid to ask for options on rental cars. I wasn't going to be caught dead driving around in a Kia Soul {or gerbil mobile as Shawn and I call it}. Now, I'm cruising around in a more acceptable Mazda 3.

8. Go to the doctor, even if you don't want to. Shawn made me. But they gave me a muscle relaxer which I'm sure will come in handy as my neck gets sore from the whiplash. I'll be testing that out later I'm sure.

9. Look on the bright side - I'm OK and so it the other driver. My car can be fixed. And I got a four-day weekend out of it. Yep, there is always a bright side.

Drive safely, kittens!

 photo hollysig_zps6042c54d.png

20 comments:

Eb Whit said...

GASP! Your poor car. I'm sure you were pretty shook up after that.
Some drivers can be so careless.
I'm glad everyone is alright!

Ebone @ California Bluebell

Mary said...

Great lesson for everyone, lady! SO happy everyone is safe!

Amanda said...

Oh goodness!!! Glad to hear you and the other person are okay.

Hubby hit a deer with my car a few months ago, it was the most terrifying experience ever and I wasn't even driving.

the girl in the red shoes said...

SO glad you are okay honey!!! And I totally would have cried, called everyone about it, and gone to the doctor too! Ha!

Katie said...

Glad you are ok! Yeah that doesn't look like a 5-10 mph hit. The driver probably wasn't paying attention.

I like the 'dont get mad' suggestion. As much as if sucks to have to deal with getting the car fixed and being on the phone several times a day dealing with multiple people it really was an accident. No one purposely hits someone else. Accidents happen.
*it's hard to remember that in the moment.

M. at Making Sense of Cents said...

Oh no! Car accidents are so scary. Glad you are okay.

The Pink Growl said...

ahhh I hate this for you! I got rear ended back in Sept and luckily no one was hurt but it actually ended up totalling my car. No good!

Gwen said...

No way was she going 5-10! Glad everyone is OK.

I'm still bummed that we missed each other Saturday!

Becca Moss said...

I know it's bad but my first thought after seeing your car was HEY you're from Ohio, me too(Cincinnati area)! I know, I get side tracked way too often. Now back to the topic of this post.. she was definitely going over 5-10 mph and your poor car! Glad everyone is okay for the most part!

Sarah at Midwest Pillowtalk said...

my biggest fear! ahh i am so sorry!!!
i am so glad you are okay!! xxo

Jordan Shaner said...

That's terrible! I'm so glad everyone is okay though.

xx

http://thattallgirlinheels.com

Casey said...

I was rear ended on my way to work one morning a few years ago. So awful. Good for you for looking at the bright side!

(That same school year I got into a second car accident on my way to work. I felt like such a dummy the second time when I had to call the secretary.)

Kristin said...

No way would I ever believe her only going 5-10mph! That had to be at least 20-30mph. I am glad you're okay (and she is too) but your poor car! I always say...the car is replaceable, you're not.

Rachel Murphree said...

Glad you're okay, and that sucks that you had to go through that. :( These tips are very helpful!
Rachel
With Love, Rachel

Brianna said...

Oh your poor car!! Glad you are okay though!! That is just the worst. I would NOT have handled it as well as you... I tend to go ape-sh** and freak out on people rather than stay calm and be nice. It's not a great quality haha. Hopefully your car will be able to be fixed in no time!! (:

Amber said...

Oh no, your pretty car!! I'm sorry girl. I'm happy you're OK though!

Sarah said...

So glad you are okay! I saw that IG and thought, 'oh no she just got that car!'

Miss August said...

I totally feel your pain! I was stuck in traffic last month when a lady came blasting into me going about 40... She then pushed me into a pickup and I ended up with a completely totaled car! I'm glad to see you're okay and hopefully her insurance will take care of everything smoothly and quickly! Dealing with stuff like this is quite the headache!

Janna Renee said...

You poor thing! You are so lucky that you have a lease and the fact that the car has been hit won't be a factor if you had to sell it. I'm sure they will get you all taken care of, and I'm just glad you are okay!

Sabrina Craig said...

Oh my! The damages on your car, which were brought on by the accident looks really awful, but I’m glad that no one got hurt. I'm just glad that you remained calm and collected after the incident. I really appreciate everything you learned from that experience, especially the last one. In any way, thanks for sharing that, Holly! Take care always!

Sabrina Craig @ Medical Attorney NY

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...