Thursday, August 22, 2013

back-to-school shopping for grown ups

Can I be honest? I wish I had kiddos to take back-to-school shopping.

Over the weekend while Shawn and I were in Kohl's, I was so jealous of the moms and tweens standing in the ridiculously long checkout lines, arms full of new duds to start the school year. I remember how friggin' exciting back-to-school shopping was as a kid, and even though I'm still in school at the ripe age of 29, I spend my money paying grad school tuition and bills rather than going back-to-school shopping. Woof.

I can't believe I'm going to admit this, but I'm still using folders and notebooks that I got two years ago when I started grad school. I'm pretty sure that breaks some unwritten back-to-school rule. How embarrassing.

So when my mom mentioned that she needed to go shopping for some new clothes for work, you bet your hiney I was all over that, and was all like "Mom! Let's go back-to-school shopping together!" {she's a teacher so this seems appropriate}.

I immediately began scouring my fav stores online - Old Navy, New York & Company, H&M - because, as grown ups, we have perfected our shopping prowess over the years and realize that a plan of attack {and a budget} are necessary for shopping trips of this magnitude.

And I can't believe I'm going to admit this either, but I'm still wearing dress pants that I bought when I started my current job, oh you know, five, six years ago. Just put me in a casket now - I've been caught dead wearing old clothes. But there are two reasons why this is a good thing: 1.New York & Company dress pants are the bees knees, and 2. I've stayed the same size for five, six years. Fist pump. But it's time for a work wardrobe overhaul. Here are some items on my "for work" wish list:

Grown Up Back-To-School Shopping: For Work
{click image for item details}

I'm a big proponent of a healthy work-life balance, and I think every woman's wardrobe should reflect that balance. Typically when I shop, I try to buy items that can be worn both for work and for play, but I am giving myself permission to buy some new "play clothes" that don't pass my work-play test. Here are some items on my "for play" wish list:  

Grown Up Back-To-School Shopping: For Play
{click image for item details}

I'm not made of money and I don't have a trust fund, so not all of this will be purchased. But hey, a girl can dream. Before this back-to-school shopping trip, I'm hoping to clean out my closet to assess my real needs and wants. Right now, for work, I know I NEED new dress pants and blouses. For play, I need...
Well, I'm pretty sure I need that camo jacket. Don't make me launch into that justification though; it's bound to be absurd.

So if you don't have kids, or even if you do, do you still go back-to-school shopping? What's on your wish list?

 photo hollysig_zps6042c54d.png

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

I miss back to school shopping. Being a grown up and having a budget doesn't allow me to do it anymore. Boo!

Katie said...

Back to school shopping was THE best! Even going for all the school supplies was something I looked forward to. I was at Target yesterday glancing at all the school supplies with a smile!

I am also still wearing old work pants. Most of mine are seriously from 8 years ago when I started a business school. YIKES!!!

Noor W. said...

Nice dreams (; I really should do a back to school shopping, perfect excuse to go shopping again :p If I would buy something right now, it would be a dress. No wait, several dresses. Aahhh obsession! :p

xo Noor
http://clothesanddreams.blogspot.com

Chrissy Jordan said...

I just re-enrolled myself back into school, but it's all online, so I can't justify shopping for that... sweat pants anyone?

BUT I did just enroll my 4 year old into pre-K, and we're hitting the stores for him soon. I'll take any excuse to get out of the house. lol

And those plum flats!! <3 <3 <3

KatyK said...

Take me back to school shopping with you! Boomer helped to ruin a whole load of clothes the other day so now it's kind of a need more than a want...right?

Gwen said...

I love back to school shopping, even though I don't go to school at all. I bought a few things over the weekend.

Arielle said...

hahaha i always say this! I love your lists!:)

Miss Chelsea said...

Um, I bought like 6 pairs of Express dress pants when I started my internship at the house of booze ('08) and I still have/wear them! Dress pants are dress pants and at close to $100 a pop you betta believe I'm suckin the life outta these as long as I can!

Michael said...

We'll be buried next to each other then because I've been wearing the same dress pants for 3 years (mildly snug). I LOVE back-to-school shopping and miss it tremendously. At least you can live vicariously through your mom!

afitlittleone said...

I completely agree! Back-to-school shopping should be done by all, why not? I always think of lists this way, they bigger the lists, the more likely I'm bound to find a couple things, especially since for me, my size is always gone. Have fun shopping :)

Emily said...

I am obsessed with New York and Company pants!! The fit is spot on and the price is on point!

Janna Renee said...

Hey, I still have some from HIGHschool that I still wear, so I do not judge for wearing old stuff! Although my jeans are fitting snug these days. Part of me thinks I am old enough to rock the next size up, but then I don't want to have to buy all new jeans, haha. We have been calling back to school shopping "Fall shopping" this year. The "adult version." :)

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...