Friday, August 23, 2013

what i learned at cirque du soleil's totem {review}

 photo photo3_zpsf7579c7f.jpg


Last night, Shawn and I had the pleasure of seeing opening night of Cirque du Soleil's Totem at the Ohio Expo Center/Ohio State Fairgrounds in Columbus. The show was under a big top tent and the atmosphere was so intimate, especially when you're sitting in the sixth row.

Seriously, I cannot tell you in words how freakin' cool it was! This was my first time seeing a Cirque du Soleil show and I was in awe the whole time. I kept nudging Shawn throughout the show and saying, "Did you see that?! Holy shit!" Of course, he saw it. He was sitting right beside me. But ahhhhh, it was so amazing! The performers are incredible and so, so talented. I'm not kidding, if I could move my body they way they do, I'd quit my job and join Cirque du Soleil too.

I don't want to give too much away, but some of my favorite parts were the Love Birds on the trapeze, the ladies who spun the fabric/blanket things on their hands and feet and the hoop dancers. The parts that gave me the most anxiety were the ladies on the unicycles tossing bowls onto their own and each others' heads and the skaters who flipped and spun and twirled on a tiny platform. But every act was stunning and the costumes were beautiful.

I learned a lot about trust and strength from watching the performers last night. These performers cannot have any doubts about the other people with whom they are performing. They often put their lives in someone else's hands {especially when their being dropped and caught in mid air}. There is no room for error in some of these acts, and trust is a difficult thing to give away, so it is impressive that such trust is built between people. When it comes to strength, these performers have it - physically and mentally. The things they do with their bodies {and how their bodies look for that matter} is breathtaking. And I can only imagine the type of training that goes into these shows, and the amount of mental toughness it takes to do what they do. I am still in awe of their strength and talent.

I said it last night after the show and I'll say it again, it's definitely in the Top 10 coolest things I've ever seen. If you are in Columbus between now and September 15, I highly recommend you go see Totem! Get tickets here.

 photo hollysig_zps6042c54d.png

7 comments:

Katie said...

I've never seen Totem, but I know a girl that does the fabric dancing kind of thing. They also dance all over hoops that hang from the ceiling as well. It's awesome! There definitely is A LOT of trust in those kind of acts. Sounds like you both had a good time.

LOVE your shirt.

Megan O. said...

I'm going tonight with Kev and I'm so excited. I've never been to one of these shows before so I'm looking forward to it all! So PUMPED!

Ashley Tyler said...

I'm going to see this tomorrow and am so excited hearing your review of the show! I've seen one other Cirque show and I spent the following two weeks wanting to join their act!

afitlittleone said...

I nominated you for the Liebster Award!

Emily said...

I agree, those shows are amazing!!!! I feel like a little kid when I watch them becuase I just gawk at how crazy their acts are. I always wonder how you start in a profession like that though. What does day 1 for them look like?! I mean, could you imagine having someone describing those acts to you and then having to figure how to do them without dying?

Janna Renee said...

I love Cirque de soleil!

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...