Wednesday, September 11, 2013

perspective



Which do you see? The old woman or the young woman? Maybe you see both?
It's really all about your perspective. How your brain interprets what you see.
Perspective isn't just about what you see. It's also how you feel, how you think, how you internalize what's happening around you, to you.
I believe that our perspective is constantly changing through our personal experiences. 
Perspective isn't right or wrong. It's just simply how each of us views and interprets the world.
Yesterday, I heard something that made me think about my perspective and how I personally interpret what I see and hear, and ultimately how my experiences make me feel.

Your opinion isn't fact. It's simply your opinion.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about how my perspective effects my behavior, my decisions, my approach to situations and people, my feelings - well, my entire life.
Two people can see the same thing, yet have very different experiences of what they saw. Why? Because they approach life differently. Their personal experiences have shaped their perspective.
Sure, many of us may experience similar things and feelings, but no two experiences are ever the same. We cannot know for certain someone else's experience, because we can only approach the experience from our own perspective.

This has really put into perspective for me certain phrases and how ignorant or naive they are, perhaps unknowingly. For example, the phrase, "I know how you feel." Well, no, I don't know how you feel because I only know how I would feel in that situation. Rather than assuming I know how someone feels based on my perspective of how I think they might feel, I am becoming more conscious of what I say. So rather than saying "I know how you feel," I might say, "I know (or I think) I would feel this way...but what was (or is) that like for you?"
I think it's about owning your perspective yet being courageous enough to try attempt to understand someone else's perspective. Stand in the other person's shoes, you know.

Because my opinion isn't fact. It's simply my opinion. And right or wrong, my opinion has been shaped by my personal experiences, which have ultimately shaped my perspective. But then again, that's just how I see it.

And speaking of perspective, 12 years ago today, our perspective of this world changed forever. God bless those who lost their lives that day, the families who lost them, the ones who have fought for our freedom, those still fighting, and those who's lives have been scarred from the events and the aftermath of that fateful September day. We will never forget.





 photo hollysig_zps6042c54d.png

2 comments:

Hollie Ann said...

Loved this post, Holly! I've been thinking a lot about perspective lately too. I can change a lot about my own perspective and I intend to. There's so many ways to look at things. Happiness is a choice! I need to choose it, personally.

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...