Tuesday, January 7, 2014

when people in real life find out i have a blog

 photo DSC_0004.jpg
{This photo has nothing to do with this post. Just a picture I took of my sister on a day much warmer than today.}

It's always awkward for me when someone from my real life finds out that I have a blog. I get embarrassed, like I just walked through an entire crowd of people with toilet paper stuck to the bottom of my shoe {that only happened to me once}. I'm struggling to wrap my brain around it, because it should be more strange that I post details of my life on the Internet, where hundreds of people can access it.

Maybe it's the awkwardness of answering questions like: "what is a blog?" or "what do you blog about?" This past weekend, when my blog became a topic of conversation, I immediately wanted to change the subject described it as an online diary/journal. Which made me sound 12. But really that's the easiest way to explain it. And most of the time when people ask me what I blog about, I just say "life." I almost never mention specific topics I blog about, especially my outfit posts, because 9 times out of 10, I'm wearing jeans and t-shirt and looking anything but stylish. Talk about embarrassing.

To be honest, I don't talk about my blog much in real life. I don't even know if more than two of my girlfriends {blogger friends, who are now real life friends, excluded} and my mom read it. And I'm perfectly OK with that.

I've been blogging for a while now {even longer than my archives indicate}, and I have yet to feel comfortable telling people I have this little blog of mine. I even get a little nervous posting links to my blog on my personal Facebook page. I don't know why it makes my skin crawl to have conversations about my blog, like the one this past weekend, with people I know in real life. Maybe it's because I think they are judging me? But who cares, right?! Apparently, my conscience. Or maybe it's because I don't think they will get it.

Has anyone else felt this way? How did you overcome it?

11 comments:

Ashley Tyler said...

I feel this way all the time! I actually don't tell people I have a blog. So when my brother's girlfriend said she read my blog I had no idea how to react and just changed the subject as quickly as I could.

Beth said...

I totally feel the same way! Especially when my husband's family came across it. I just got very awkward and started mumbling and stuttering trying to change the subject! haha Not the best way to handle it I guess :)

Whitney Ellen said...

I'm, very slowly, trying to come out of this shell, myself. It's such a tough inner-battle to deal with because it's something I think we're both really proud of, and definitely passionate about, but it's also so foreign to most who aren't doing it themselves, you know? I always get really weird and/or defensive and throw out Pioneer Woman or Perez Hilton and say something weird like, "did you know THEY started as bloggers?!?!"... Yeah... still really awkward. haha!

Gwen said...

I'm the opposite. I started out by sharing my blog with family and on Facebook, way before I knew anything about the vast blogging community. Still, I'm always somehow amazed when people tell me they read my blog.

Brianna said...

Sometimes I wish I didn't tell my real life friends about my blog. I can tell they judge me and I also feel like I can't say whatever I want sometimes. It's always an awkward topic because people who aren't in the blogging community don't really understand it! I'm a new follower- I love your blog :)

Shannon Dew said...

I still get weird when people tell me they read too. Especially Jimmy's family! It seems like every family function I go to one more relative says something about something they read and I immediately panic! "OMG did I say something rude? Mean? Embarrassing to the family?" and then Jimmy tells me to stop thinking about it b/c then I'll change and I can't change bc that's why people like reading in the first place. But it's weird b/c they know SO much more about us than we know about them b/c they are reading our "diary" essentially.

emily said...

i'm the same way! i shared so much when i first started blogging because it was like my online diary for just me, but then started over with the current blog once i got to know people who were reading (like you girls! ha. and my family) and the past two years i actually put the blog address on my christmas cards, just in case any friends or family want to read. but i never put anything on twitter or facebook. i like 'knowing' who is reading it.

Audra said...

I'm your real-life friend and I read too! :)

But yeah, the worst is when co-workers comment on it. So awkward!

Samantha said...

I'm just starting to get into this whole blogging thing, though I've been following blogs for quite sometime now. I'm still trying to figure out the balance and I think the only 2 people that know I blog are my sister and my fiancé. I'm still at the point where I'm not entirely sure I want people I know in real life reading it! Maybe one day, but right now, I have no desire for that to happen!

Jamie @ You Gotta Have Hart said...

I like to tell people about my blog, mostly strangers. My very close friends and Mother know I blog.. even my Boss does. They all know me as a very, in fact, extremely open person who wears her heart on her sleeve. I'm pretty much an open book. When I started blogging, I intended to write about the loss of my son, grief, and just my daily rants but it's turned into more than that. I'm new to blogging and haven't exactly found my way. I can understand how someone would want to be "shy" about their blog-- there's just something about me that feels I have a story to share and I don't really mind who reads it. If that makes sense.

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...