Tuesday, March 11, 2014

10 things i like about myself

 photo ry3D480_zpsd4ec319c.jpg
{photo by Sara Sell Photography}

Society draws such a fine line between confidence and arrogance. And what's so confusing is that as children, we are taught to have confidence and to love ourselves for who we are. But once we begin to show signs of confidence or of accepting ourselves, society takes a big dump on us. All of a sudden our confidence is labeled as arrogance. And accepting and loving ourselves now makes us vain.

It's such a cruel game of tug-o-war. And we have the nerve then to wonder why so many girls and women struggle with eating disorders, depression, anxiety, self-harm, etc.? We wonder why so many girls and women battle low self-esteem. 

What in the actual hell?!

I've had my ups and downs with self-confidence. And I struggle every day to accept my whole self - the good, the bad, the jiggly, the impatient, etc. I wish I could say it has gotten better with age, but society's game of tug-o-war - dragging us back and forth across the fine line separating confidence and arrogance, self-love and vanity - knows no age, no gender, no place in society.

I don't think that people should be ashamed of or made to feel bad for having confidence and for liking themselves. And we often hear that in order to love someone else, we have to love ourselves first. Here are 10 things that I like about myself:

1. My eyes. Though they are bipolar - switching from hazel to brown to green - they are big and expressive. I can keep one of them straight and the other crossed at the same time. I can roll them like a champ. And they can see the good in others.

2. My organization skills. I love when everything is in its place. And I love organizing things. I'm so excited to put unpack my new house for this very reason.

3. I own my mistakes. If something is my fault, I'll own up to it. If I am in the wrong, I say 'I'm sorry.'

4. I can put myself in someone else's shoes. Yes, I have my own opinions, but I like hearing both sides of the story. I like seeing things from a different perspective. I like trying to understand where another person is coming from. I think it's so important because fear controls so much in this world. And I think if we could learn to understand each other, we could eliminate a lot of fear.

5. I think I take decent photos. I actually really like getting my picture taken. Is every single photo I'm in amazing? Absolutely not. Some are downright disgusting. But 75% of the time, I like my picture.

6. My ability to find a good deal. I am a hardcore bargain shopper. I always check the sales racks first.

7. I can laugh at myself. I do not take life or myself too seriously. Yes, there are serious situations that occur in my life, and I think I handle them appropriately. But I do silly things and say silly things just to make people, including myself, laugh. It makes life so much more enjoyable.

8. My style. Don't get me wrong, there are times that I stand in front of my closet and think, 'I have nothing to wear!' My style has certainly changed over the years, but I have found a style that suits me. That I am comfortable in. It's not always the most trendy -  I tend to opt for comfort and am typically a t-shirt and jeans gal - but I enjoy taking risks and trying new styles.

9. My interest in people. I love meeting new people and learning about people. I think that I make friends easily, and I hope that's because I make them feel comfortable and accepted. And I hope it's because they genuinely enjoy my company.

10. My smarts. I learn things quickly. I love learning new things and learning from different experiences.

What do you like about yourself?

Linking up with Christy at Avoiding Atrophy.

P.S. Thank you all so much for your sweet comments, concerns and well wishes on my post yesterday.

23 comments:

Kiki said...

Being able to laugh at yourself I think is so important. These are great qualities!

Miss Chelsea said...

I love this post. You rock!

Whitney Ellen said...

Yes ma'am!! Preach self love... there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a strong and confident woman. You are amazing!!

alyssa said...

This is awesome! Of course we all struggle with our self-image and self-worth from time to time, but taking a few minutes to consider what makes us special and important is a MUST too! Great post :)

Because of Jackie said...

Love this! I am also really good at organization, and I think I'ma pretty good mom. yay for being positive and owning up to what makes us special;)

Renee said...

The first part of your post is seriously DEAD on and I loved it!

Steph G said...

I love reading these lists! I'm a little jealous of how photogenic you are - I am not a fan of getting my picture taken, but then I get sad when I never have any pictures... must get better. Happy Tuesday!

srjones03 said...

Great post - and great qualities too!

Jamie Vespa said...

I love posts like this. We all need to talk more about the things we like about ourselves and less aboout what we don't like!

Katie conkell said...

This is a great post. We should all be able to make a list like this without fear of being judged for it.

And you do take a great picture from what I've see! :)

Kristen said...

I love this post! But, I wish I liked having my picture taken, I am my own worse critic!

Mary said...

awww I love you, Holly!

Micah said...

I love this post! I may need to steal this idea for the future.

Can I have your organization skills? And your ability to take a good photo? K, thanks!

Heather (My Little HEA) said...

My style is very comfy as well, which tends to not follow trends and I love that about myself. Also I would agree about 75% of the time I think I take a pretty good picture that accurately represents me. Great post!

Blogger Ash said...

You have a really great writing style. I agree that it's hard to pick out things we like about ourselves because we are over critical and we don't want to be preceived as being self rightous.

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

Blogger Ash said...

You have a really great writing style. I agree that it's hard to pick out things we like about ourselves because we are over critical and we don't want to be preceived as being self rightous.

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

Lisa Loves John said...

This post is wonderful!!! We all need to celebrate these things! :)

Thanks for sharing, pretty lady!

Samantha Curtis said...

Such a great post; I'm so guilty about pointing out my flaws…it's so important to look at what we love and be thankful for it. :)

Rachel said...

It's a very good thing to actually like pictures of yourself! Too many people hate getting their photo taken and always hate how their photos turn out!

Kelly said...

I love this, what a great idea!

xx Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

Anne said...

I love this post...such a great idea and so refreshing to read something positive in a time where it seems that we are always down on ourselves. Thank you for sharing this.

Janna Renee said...

Sorry, had to grocery shop and make dinner, but I'm back! I love your self confidence, and my favorite is that you own your mistakes. I think that is one of the BEST examples of someones character.

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...