Thursday, March 20, 2014

if you do one thing when you move, do this

 photo photo21_zps7ec18cfb.jpg
{lots of grays and greens going on in our new paint scheme}

Currently, if you saw my car, you'd think I was a hobo. A hobo driving a 2013 Ford Fusion. But nonetheless, a hobo. It's just so easy to throw your belongings in a trash bag and transport them from one house to the other. Seriously, who uses boxes? Trash bags are so much easier to manipulate into the crevices of your vehicle. The only downside - other than trash bags tear easily when filled with clothes still on the hangers - is that when you're car is stuffed, literally, with trash bags of your belongings, you look like a hobo cruising the streets of your new neighborhood, or workplace parking lot since that's how I rolled to work today.

 photo photo20_zpsb2f425bd.jpg
{day 1: the TV moves in}

But the moving process has begun! I have been over at our new house cleaning or organizing or picking out paint swatches or listening to Shawn shout profanities as he tries to get the TV cords to run inside the wall every night this week. I even spent my 30th birthday cleaning and standing at the kitchen island eating Chipotle because we have no furniture over there yet. But I got to eat Chipotle on my birthday in my new house. Not too shabby.

Organizing is one of my favorite things to do. Call me a strange ranger, but it calms me and is so good for my OCD soul. Since we are going to have lots of people helping with the big move this weekend, I've taken the liberty of labeling cabinets and closets with Post-It notes to help keep the process organized and running smoothly.

 photo photo23_zps233d3887.jpg

And what's the most important label of them all...

 photo photo22_zps612d504c.jpg

Duh. But seriously, if you're moving, embrace the power of the Post-It. This might seem like a no-brainer but if you do one thing before moving into your new place, take the time to label cabinets, drawers and closets with where you want things to go. It will save a lot of headaches of trying to figure where you want your things to go on the fly and having people ask you 98463181 times where an item should go. Post-Its for the win!

Today is my Friday. Tonight is our first night sleeping at our new house. Tonight I am taking a break from cleaning - minus unloading my hobo car after work - and two of my girlfriends are treating me to a wine and canvas night at Wyandot Winery for my birthday. Tomorrow Shawn and I will wake up bright and early to welcome the DirecTV, alarm system and Internet guys to our humble abode for installation. And Shawn is also going to start painting! I have never been so excited for paint in all my 30 years on this planet.

Have a great weekend, friends! I know I will :)

15 comments:

Audra said...

YAY!!! So exciting! Can't wait to see the placce this weekend! :)

Katie conkell said...

everyone laughs at me for my post-its. I use them for EVERYTHING! Moving post-its was was awesome for labeling boxes (yes I had boxes, guess I'll try bags next time) so our happy helpers didn't have to ask where they went or go through them.

Yay for new houses!

Caitlin said...

This is a great idea! I'm so crazy though I'd tell them to leave the boxes there and I'd like to unpack them myself! LOL If you want something right, do it yourself ;)

Good luck with the move!!

Heather (My Little HEA) said...

We've moved PLENTY and are sort of pioneers about it where we may have help but it isn't much and it's just for the big stuff but if I ever have someone help more OMG I am so using the post it way!

Jamie Vespa said...

I am completely guilty of the car stuffed full of bags of clothes. How else are you supposed to move clothes? Boxes? Heck no, bags are way easier! Have a good night & enjoy your first night in the house!!

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

What a fabulous idea, I can't believe I never thought of that. Come to think of it... 3 years after moving into our house I think I still need to do the post it thing for my husband. He's always asking where things are and I tell him that he missed orientation :-P

alyssa said...

As another gal who loves to organize, THIS. IS. GENIUS! Thanks so much for posting — I'll have to remember this for my move to a new place this fall! Cheers to your new place & next chapter! Have a great weekend :)

Amanda @ Marry Mint said...

Ohh good idea! Even though we move a ton I still don't feel like I have a great system... I will have to keep this in mind. Please post more of what is working for you and what isn't so I can steal your ideas ;)

Ericka said...

Using post its on the cupboards is such a great idea! So much better than everyone asking you a million times where everything goes!

Haley Phillips said...

Oh new houses are so much fun and I absolutely love the colors you chose!!

http://haleybrianna.blogspot.com

Kayla MKOY said...

I hate nothing more than when we are unpacking and I can't find what I need!!! Your new house looks beautiful!! :)

Brittany said...

SUCH an amazing idea!! I love this especially because people wont make assumptions and randomly put things places that you'll never find!

Courtney B said...

Post its. GENIUS! I seriously never would have thought of that! (Don't ask me how many times we've moved in our marriage. Okay, I'll tell you. 4 times. And I've never done the post its!!)
My hubs LOVES to organize, too. Which is great for me since I hate it!

Blogger Ash said...

Love your organization skills! Enjoy the new home!

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com
*100 Books to Read in a Lifestime Giveaway ends today

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

I do the same thing with post-it's when we move!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...