Tuesday, March 25, 2014

the woes of adult acne

 photo photo25_zps757c04aa.jpg
I am instantly regretting my decision to discuss today's topic after posting these images. Let's not talk about how giant my nose looks in these stellar iPhone selfies. But maybe my nose has distracted you from my adult acne? No? Damn. It doesn't help that cyclops is sitting right there are the top of my nose. Seriously, how does acne strategically place itself so that you look absolutely ridiculous? The bad news about these photos {besides the quality} is that I have makeup on to try to cover up said adult acne.

Which brings me to the star of today's post - adult acne. Can you say 30 going on 15? Is it not enough that I had to suffer with teenage acne?! The universe says no. It's a cruel, cruel world, my friends.

Does anyone else suffer from this plague? Adult acne, much like teenage acne, is a real confidence killer. Especially when it takes the form of painful pimples that take weeks to go away. And also refuse to hide behind the curtain of foundation and concealer. I swear to high heaven that I wash my face at least twice a day. But the battle rages on with no truce in sight.

I have even succumbed to the peer pressure of Proactiv+ infomercials, and for the past two months have used the product as directed. In the past, I have tried multiple face washes that seem to work for some time, but my acne soon becomes immune to my weapons of pore cleansing destruction.

I've been doing well resisting the urge to pick at my face every night, but I am up to my eyeballs {literally - hi, cyclops} in adult acne frustration. Certainly, there are people with adult acne far worse than mine. Yes, mine tends to get worse around my time of the month. But any acne at 30 is too much, and my face hasn't been completely clear in longer than I can remember. And I've had it.

It's time for an intervention. I'm ready to fire my makeup. I'm not quite ready to give up on Proactiv+ {I mean, it works for everyone in the commerical! And I still have two months worth of it.}. I'm considering a dermatologist but have been putting it off because I'd much rather spend my hard earned cash on copious amounts of facial cleansers. Obviously.

So, before I call the derm, I'm asking you. What acne treatments have worked for you? What makeup have you found that covers well, and doesn't leave you broke with even more acne?

P.S. Don't forget to enter the Living in Yellow March sponsor giveaway!

17 comments:

EZsx5 said...

I go to the derm for annual checkups-aka skin cancer screenings- and I had a spot on my chin that just would not go away. He had to inject it with a steroid to flatten it. It was a hard spot that would not pop, wouldn't go away if I left it alone, but would flare up at pms time. Anyway, he explained that stubborn adult acne (not the pimples that you get at pms or the occasional whitehead, but the pimples that are clearly there to stay) are really your bodies way of trying to grow facial hair!!! Gah!!! BUT because of hormones going up and down during our cycle, the hair never has a chance to grow and actually come out where it's visible. It will eventually as we get older because our hormones change with age-obviously. He told me to stop in anytime I get one of those pimples and he'll inject the steroid and we'll be good to go. Granted I'm almost 35, so this makes more sense for me, but I thought I'd pass along the info incase you needed a steroid injection in the future!! I feel you girl!! Good luck!!!

Cheri Armour said...

You might need to go to the derm. I struggle with the exact same thing, and the only thing that finally helped was going to the derm and getting a really easy prescription for Aczone and Epiduo. Seriously fixed my face. They also gave me this other stuff, but it made my skin so so dry that I was like nahhhh another thing I don't need. Good luck! I'm in your same boat (and I'm getting married in like 5 months!) Eep!

http://cheriarmour.com

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

I feel your pain hun and mine is so much worse :(

I never really experienced it when I was a teenager, but ever since going off the pill a few years ago it's been BAD. I've tried everything from proactiv to prescriptions from the derm, etc... nothing clears it up completely. So frustrating!

Kristyn @ Carolina Fireflies said...

I have acne so much worse now than I ever did as a teenager! The only thing I've found that works is Rodan & Fields Unblemish line. I tried products prescribed by my derm and they just irritated my skin. Now if I stop using R+F my acne comes back but at least I know how to get rid of it quickly.

Paige Nicole said...

I'm right there with ya on the adult acne. I use cetaphil face wash and Murad's AHA/BHA cleanser. I really like both but I still get breakouts. I also use tea tree oil as a spot treatment and that usually gets pimples to pop within a day or so but it still takes forever to heal.

jessica said...

It's a constant struggle with me too. I'll try something new and it just doesn't work. I've tried Proactive as well and it didn't work on me. I've always gone back to the same face wash which works well for me and I've used since it was bad in high school. Recommended by my doctor. I do still occasionally get one on my chin/jaw line (thats my trouble area) Just use it daily (twice a day if needed) Your face will dry out a little, but if you have a moisturizer that works well and doesn't make you break out use it. And then I typed this whole comment and I don't remember the exact brand/name. I will tweet it to you around lunch time when I get home! :-)

The Rachael Way said...

Please let me know if you find something that works because I'm in the same boat as you!!!

Ashley said...

oh man girl, I FEEL your pain. This is my life too! I finally broke down and went to the derm and it's so worth it. On aczone now and a facewash my derm makes and it's working for me. Such a pain....AND confidence killer. I use the proactiv toner too. Crossing my fingers for it to come through for you! XO

Anonymous said...

I, too, am (was) an adult acne sufferer. I tried EVERYTHING. And, while it has gotten some scary press, Accutane is the only thing that has eradicated my acne. Of course, this is the final stop for some folks and you will have to see a derm (a lot), but it worked for me! :)

Kayla MKOY said...

I've heard that coconut oil works miracles....seriously! I used to have suuuuchh bad acne in high school/college (face, back, chest) and it made me so insecure that I wouldn't go out with everyone on the weekends or wear tank tops. I hated it so much! Proactiv never worked for me, but I ended up getting an acne cream from the derm that bleached everything I wore to bed, but it definitely worked. I forget what it was called but it had benzoyl peroxide in it! I've since stopped using it now that its gone away for the most part, but i still get the occasional breakout.

Acne blows! End of story.

Vicki said...

I feel your pain!! I'm almost 30 also, and I have the face of a 13 year old! I have been trying so hard to take care of my face, but I still can't get a completely clear complexion. So frustrating!!

Sarah said...

Uh girl I am with you! I finally broke down and went to the derm and it is helping a lot. She gave me a topical cream that is working and also told me to get a clean and clear face wash - let me find the link and I'll email it to you!

Sammy said...

Hey – great blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a really nice platform you are using. I’m currently using WordPress for a few of my blogs but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it? Acne

John Dudley said...

To get more info on laser hair removal in gurgaon visit Skin Plus Clinic

The Healing Station said...

I agree. Acne is a confidence killer. Thankfully, there are a lot of regimens nowadays that can help to prevent it from appearing, like facial treatment, cleanser, and so on. But if none of these can help you, visiting a dermatologists is always a good option. How are you doing now?

Connie Chan

Glenn Lowe said...

That’s right! Acne is a problem that can be hard to deal with. It’s embarrassing, and it can kill your confidence easily, especially if it's in a very visible location. An intervention is really a must! If it's just one or two pimples, using the usual products in the market is okay. But for sudden breakouts, it would be advisable to see a dermatologist about it, especially if you tend to have allergic reactions to different skin care products. Anyway, I hope you found a way to make that pimple disappear soon after!

Glenn Lowe @ Knight and Sanders

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...