Tuesday, May 13, 2014

one-woman circus

 photo photo4_zps0c8e3800.jpg
{I'm digging lighter, minimalist makeup for summer.}

I'm the kind of person one might refer to as an overachiever. It's great in the sense that I'm a go-getter, a doer and a dreamer. It's annoying because I can barely finish one project, or even one thought or idea for that matter, before I am on to the next one.

In college, my roommate dated a guy that we called "the one-man circus." He was always coming up with random ideas, businesses and professions he wanted to pursue. There was the stint as the World's Strongest Man. Dead serious. He even pulled his frat brother's Jeep with a rope for "training." There was the time he wanted to start his own car dealership. He bought a car, fixed it up and sold it to a friend. The end.

I'm pretty sure he aspired to be a professional skateboarder because I remember him riding around on a mini skateboard after a few adult beverages more than once. And then there was the time he hauled a hose into his frat house and sprayed some party goers who were playing beer pong. I'm guessing that's the time he wanted to be a fireman. And I'm almost positive he wanted to be an underwear model, because I cannot even begin to count how many times I came home from class to find him passed out in my roommate's bed in his tighty whities. College kids are so ambitious, aren't they?

The point of this is, over the past several years, I have had my fair share of things I wanted to be when I grew up - some random, one legit. Yes, one may even have described me as a one-woman circus. Karma is a bitch.

There was the time I wanted to be in student affairs. I took the GRE, applied to one program, got denied and that was that. Because I work at a university, part of me still desires to one day transition from marketing to student affairs, because I love working with the students. We'll see...

Shortly after Shawn and my wedding nearly five years ago, I thought I wanted to be a wedding planner. I bought some books, talked to a wedding planner about what she did, lined up two pro bono clients and then came to my senses. Who wants to give up their weekends, especially during the summer?

So I went to grad school to be a mental health counselor {for three years, plus the year and half of a second bachelor's to make sure this was the path I wanted to go down}, until I had a meltdown. Now, I am going to earn a different master's degree, but a master's all the same. That is if I ever get my shit together and finish my research project. This summer, friends, this summer.

And then there was the time I sold Mary Kay. One of my sorority sisters, who still sells it and has even earned one of those pink Cadillacs, talked me into it. I wanted some extra income to boost my miniscule reporter's salary, so I bought lots of product, had a few parties and attended several rep meetings. This stint didn't last long, but I certainly didn't complain about the discounted products. It had been years since I used Mary Kay, until an MKGlam VoxBox from Influenster showed up on my door step last week.

 photo photo3_zpse15dc71b.jpg


 photo photo1_zpsd952005d.jpg

 photo photo2_zps77e40d4d.jpg

Bronzing Powder in Light-Medium: Love this. It's not shiny like some bronzers, and it's not too dark for my skin.

Translucent Loose Powder: It's really light and it's supposed to help with shine. To be honest, I haven't paid that close attention to my shine the past few days I've worn it to notice if it works. But maybe my not noticing means it's working?

Mineral Cheek Color in Citrus Bloom: It was a little more pink that I was used to, but it's ahhhh-mazing. I actually really love the color!

Cream Eye Color in Apricot Twist: I was nervous about a cream eye color. I hate when my eyes feel wet, but it wasn't like that at all when I put it on. The color is really light. I put on two coats and still it's barely noticeable, which is great for a light, summer makeup look.

Cream Eye Color/Concealer Brush: It works.

Powder Brush: It sheds.

Lash Love Mascara: The bristles on the end of the wand {or whatever they're called} were not as long as I'm used to, so I was nervous that it wasn't going to separate my lashes as well. I always didn't think it was going to hold that much mascara on the brush. I was wrong. So, so wrong. My lashes are separated and covered and look longer.

Gel Eyeliner with Expandable Brush Applicator in Jet Black: If I was nervous about the cream eye color, I was even more nervous about this gel eyeliner. I've never used a liquid eyeliner or gel eyeliner, for that matter. Next to the bronzer, this is my favorite product in my VoxBox. Surprisingly, I didn't apply it like a child learning to color.

NouriShine Plus Lip Gloss in Mango Tango: This scares the hell out of me. I cannot even bring myself to try it. It's so bright. And for a non-lipstick/lip gloss wearer like myself, I fear transforming into a circus clown.

I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes.

12 comments:

Miss Chelsea said...

You've got the most gorgeous eyes

Blogger Ash said...

I'm all over the place too. There are just some many things I'm interested in and think I'd be good out (key word: think - hhaha). Makeup looks great!

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

That mascara is awesome, it looks so great!!

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

Beautiful! And I'm the same way. Does anyone ever actually know what they want to be when they grow up???

Brittney, Breaking Free said...

Very pretty!!!

Kayla MKOY said...

I love using minimal make up! Especially this time of year! You look great :)

Erin LFF said...

Love your makeup girl, you look great! :) And ps- I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up and have changed my mind a zillion times!

Because of Jackie said...

I am a total one man circus! Let;s see…I wanted to be a scientist, a fashion designer, a financial consultant, a writer, a teacher, and a ballet dancer. I tend to get obsessed with things and run with it until I…..don't. I AM into your minimalist makeup look, though, and really want to do the same thing with my hair (less heat tools!)

Because Shanna Said So said...

Ha!! You sound just like me....dreaming of new projects, ideas, ventures....but still don't know what I "really" want to do for the rest of my life except be a mom and wife! :) And, dear Lord, can I please have your skin???? It's flawless and perfect! No fair! :)

Rachel Emily said...

Yeah! It looks so great! You did great with the gel liner, just like I knew you would :)

Starcelebrity Buzz said...

Great post. I congratz for your great effort.. Star Celebrity Pictures

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...