Wednesday, May 14, 2014

splurge vs save

 photo splurge_zpsdf5aa2e6.jpg
                  {J.Crew espadrilles: $128; Urban Outfitters poncho: was $129, now $70}


 photo splurgevssave_zps66cb1e57.jpg


 photo save_zpse6f7490f.jpg
   {Target espadrilles: in-store clearance $14.99; Forever 21 poncho: clearance $18.99 {sold out}}

I don't keep it a secret that I'm a bargain shopper. I practically wear that label like a big, scarlet badge of honor. And since our new house came with a higher mortgage payment a couple months ago, I have been hawking deals like a famished vulture circling the sky over a country road.

As of late, one may even go so far as to call me a penny-pincher. And if you knew me the first three years after college, you would never have guessed this was a term anyone would use to describe me...EVER. Let's just say I did a copious amount of bargain shopping back in the day, much to my accountant father's dismay, who was constantly badgering me with the whole "save your money" or "do you really NEED that?" schpeel. What's funny is I now call my dad to brag about some of the great deals I've find. Two weeks ago, I even thanked him for being up my arse about saving money because it has finally - after 30 years - paid off.

Though most of my budget right now is designated to items for the house, I have manage to score a few deals during my "house shopping" outings.

1 // I love a good pair of neutral espadrilles for summer, and I, unexpectedly, snagged that Target pair {the fabric has metallic gold in it!!} off the clearance rack for $14.99 this past weekend. Plus, I had a Target gift card from my birthday, so I technically didn't pay for them at all.

2 // A few weeks ago, Forever 21 was having a BOGO sale on their clearance items. I had been on the hunt for a poncho, but not knowing if I could pull this look off or how often I would wear it, I didn't want to spend a lot on it. I took a chance on this navy and cream, fringed poncho and I love it. Again, I had a gift card so I technically didn't pay for this either.

So, who wants to hire me as their personal shopper?

I was contacted to be a part of the Credit Card Insider "Splurge vs. Save" campaign.


9 comments:

Claire @ Refining Bliss said...

I am ALWAYS on the lookout for a good bargain! Thanks for sharing!!

Claire said...

It's great to save your money, defiantly not a bad thing. I totally get it! Thanks for sharing and God bless. ;)

XO, Claire
http://www.littlemissfashionqueen.blogspot.com

Blogger Ash said...

I have the black version of those target espidrilles and LOVE them! I paid a little bit more becuase they weren't on clearence, but $30 was totally worth it!

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

Because of Jackie said...

I am the same way, I rarely spurge on something unless I LOVE it (which doesn't happen hat often, maybe once every two years?) I think your save items are cuter than the splurges and saving money is COOL;)

No(dot dot)el said...

I love, love, love bargain shopping. I have convinced my two girls to be the same way now. It's just so much more bang for your buck. But we are thrift store junkies. Long before Macklemore made it famous ;) I think it's cute that you actually thanked your dad for teaching you to be frugal. I bet it made his day.

2justByou said...

Bargain shopping is a total must. There's just something about the thrill of finding an awesome sale and saving money. Cute shoes, btw!
It's great that you thanked your dad. Isn't it crazy how when we're young we just never want to hear their advice, and then years later, we realize it was pretty dang good advice? =0)
Have a great week!

Neha Kapoor said...

I read your blog ...this is very good blog..

Thank you

View More Videos : Breaking News Videos

sejal kapoor said...

Your post and your blog in general are really inspiring!

99Gossips

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...