Monday, June 30, 2014

embrace the unexpected

 photo 10436682_828303346825_5357234883769487078_n_zps2b49925b.jpg

 photo 10502368_828303406705_6086433371808052189_n_zps697774ef.jpg

 photo 10448760_828303461595_4927777057274613874_n_zps1f761a76.jpg
{romper: Old Navy {similar}; sunnies: H&M {similar}}

I'm a planner. I know, shocker. Another Type-A blogger. What's funny is that I like to think that I can be spontaneous, even though my spontaneity is almost immediately followed by a rush of somewhat rational thoughts and the beginnings of a plan.

Maybe spontaneous isn't the right word. You know, I might actually be more of an opportunist. Often if I have the opportunity to try something new or do something not previously planned, I take advantage. Or I at least try to work it into my already-formulated plan for the day. Which is slightly contradictory, but just go with it, mmmmk?

And although I'm Type A, I've very agreeable and go-with-the-flow. That's the people-pleaser in me. Thus, balancing my Type-A tendencies and making me pretty, damn cool. In my humble opinion, of course.

Lately, in my attempt to be more present in my daily life, I've been embracing unexpected {read: unplanned} moments. Like watching the morning sun reflects off the dam along my route to work. Like sitting for three hours at the airport bar watching soccer and chatting up other travelers. Like waking up early on a Sunday morning and just soaking up the silence. Like having an impromptu photoshoot in front of the most gorgeous doors of all the doors along a quaint, shop-lined street in Laguna Beach.

Normally, I would have passed these doors, snapped a quick photo and carried on; too self-conscious to pose for individual photos in public. But these doors. With their Pinterest-worthy, vintage flare, these doors were meant for public photoshoots. And so I did.

These doors reminded me that some of the most incredible opportunities and most beautiful things in life are often unplanned, unexpected. That plans can change. That we must be present in each moment to fully appreciate what's around us.

We walked by these doors on our way to the restaurant in Laguna Beach. But because we were so focused on making our reservation time, we completely missed them. And on the way back, when we were enjoying the scenery, we spotted them and couldn't believe we completely bypassed such a gorgeous sight.

Let's live in the moment. Let's change our plans. Let's embrace the unexpected.

11 comments:

Kayla MKOY said...

I just love this post, girl! I find myself being both Type-A and so Type-B all at once! Sometimes I confuse myself. I'm thrilled you stopped for a few pictures in front of the door because darnit, they are gorgeous!

Janna Renee said...

I'm sometimes Type A, but I do love to try new things! That door was totally Pinterest worthy, and you look HOT!

Erin LFF said...

Awesome post and great insight, friend. I'm Type-A to a fault at times, definitely. Jared's go with the flow attitude has rubbed off on me SOME, but I definitely want to do a better job of being a bit more spontaneous, a bit more relaxed if plans don't go as expected!

Jamie Vespa said...

This sounds so much like me. I dread not having a plan, but I try to just relax and go with the flow when the opportunity presents itself.

The Rachael Way said...

I love this post! I am working on enjoying the moment more, and props to you for taking these pics! I would be scared to, which is just ridiculous! haha

PolkaDottyPlace said...

I'm in the same boat!! Not so great at being spontaneous and am working hard to say YES to opportunities and look for adventure. It's definitely out of my comfort zone but I am always glad I took the chance to do something fun.

Because of Jackie said...

I think I'm the same way. I love routines, lists, plans, anything that makes life more organized. YET, I also find that I'm also really into living life as it comes, letting the day surprise me, or breaking some of my hard and fast rules of how life "should be." I like it so far, but I'm STILL making list;)

Laura Darling said...

I love this post! And that romper is so adorable!

Erin said...

Ooooh yes I DO love the doors! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this weird obsession. You look gorg as always lady.

Blogger Ash said...

That romper is super cute! You look great.

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...