Monday, June 16, 2014

in the moment

 photo Grady1_zpse27e0629.jpg

First of all, do you know how hard it is to take pictures of a cat? Especially a cat that isn't used to being outside, but I let her out just so I could take pictures of her in better lighting. So yeah, Grady was about as cooperative as a gnat for this photo sesh, which ended abruptly when I literally had to catch her by the tail as she tried to jump over the deck railing and into oblivion {oblivion being the underbelly of our deck, which I will not crawl under even to rescue my cat}. 

Anyway, I thought this picture was a perfect reminder that I must be in the moment to truly capture its beauty.

Yesterday, I went shopping sans iPhone. Not on purpose. But the funny thing is that I didn't even realize I had forgotten it until after I'd been to two stores - admittedly, it was when I wanted to text Shawn about the great deals I had just gotten at Bath & Body Works {hello, semi-annual sale!}, which he appreciates more than anyone I know because of his undying love for their candles. You need to get this one - just saying.

Though I felt kind of naked without it, not having my phone was refreshing. A slap-in-the-face epiphany that I need to do this more often. So many times I get lost in Instagram photos, tweets, Facebook posts and emails for HOURS, and I don't even realize that time has passed or that Shawn has asked me 12 questions, none of which I've responded to with more than an "mmhmm"  or silence.

Seriously, is the minutiae of everyone else's life more important than the time in my own that I'm letting slip away? The answer is no.

While I value being able to stay connected so easily to my family, friends and people I don't even know in real life {aka many of my blog friends}, I want to make an effort to unplug from my phone and computer more regularly - at least long enough to give Shawn legit answers to his questions. I want to be more intentional with my time, as I am constantly putting things off until the next day, which turns into next week, which turns into next month, which sometimes turns into next year.

I think being intentional with my time and unplugging from social media will help me to 1. stop procrastinating; 2. live purposefully and 3. be more mindful of how I'm living my life. I'm pretty sure being present in the moment is the whole reason #latergram exists.

 photo OHbloggers_zps1e21f837.jpg

Speaking of #latergram, in case you missed all the Instagram photos on Saturday, Shane and I hosted an Ohio bloggers meet up at Zauber Brewing in Columbus {you can see all the photos using #OHbloggers on Instagram and Twitter}.

Zauber's taproom has a great vibe and their Lemon Shake Ups are to die for! It was great to connect and meet these women in person - like Erin, who's blog I have been reading for a while now. She and I bonded over our mutual love for food, which pretty much makes us BFFs.

Afterwards, a few of us headed down the street to Digfest, a festival featuring craft beer, wine, crafts, food and music. The weather couldn't have been more perfect! All in all, the event was a success. Thanks to everyone who traveled long distances - and across town - to be a part of this!

9 comments:

Gwen said...

That's a gorgeous pic of Grady! Congrats on the successful meetup. My Instagram was blowing up with pictures and I was so bummed I couldn't be there. So close and yet so far...

Because of Jackie said...

That whole first paragraph about your cat just cracked me up, the things we do for our blogs! Also, I agree about living our lives more instead of documenting/checking on others, especially this time of year. i'm working on that one;)

Katie conkell said...

I love going without my phone when possible, even though its quite rare. It's nice to feel like there is nothing else needing your attention for a little while.

Sarah Farris said...

I hate leaving the house without my phone for safety reasons, but I do think that being unplugged around the house or not constantly checking it is a good idea!

Erin LFF said...

Thanks again for hosting and helping organize such a fun time! And for not judging me on the amount of food I ate ;)

Because Shanna Said So said...

I loved seeing all the IG pics from the blogger meet up!! I wanted to be there!! I also have been unplugging more lately from it all...social media, emails and blogging. It has been refreshing and helping me to learn to live in the moment and enjoy time with my family and friends. It's so easy to get wrapped up in. Sometimes I wanna throw in the towel with it all!

Mary said...

Grady is so cute!!

Janna Renee said...

I wish we were coming back to Ohio for summer! It was so fun!

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...