Monday, June 9, 2014

what makes me feel pretty

 photo hm1_zps8663253a.jpg

 photo hm4_zpsce3ff248.jpg

 photo hm5_zps42eedbff.jpg

 photo hm2_zps0cdc037c.jpg
{last Thursday I was invited to the H&M store opening in Dayton, Ohio. In exchange, I was able to pick out an outfit {pictured} and received $150 gift card. Top, shorts and sunglasses: H&M | bracelet: Forever 21 {similar} | shoes: Target {similar}}

As a woman, I sometimes feel like I'm not supposed to feel pretty. Or at least I shouldn't feel pretty the way I am. I should be taller. Thinner. More toned. Funnier. Have longer hair. Have bigger boobs. Have trendier clothes. Have a different face. Be someone else. All of which are completely opposite of other messages society sends me, which are many times drowned out by the former: That I am perfect the way I am. I am special. I am who I am supposed to be. I am beautiful - inside and out.

But the minute I show signs of confidence, feel pretty and begin to accept and love me for me, society assumes I am arrogant, full of myself. And society puts me in my place with its judge-y looks and photos of airbrushed models. It's a vicious cycle. Literally the least fun roller coaster ever.

So the key is to be confident, but not too confident because god forbid you actually like yourself, but you should like yourself because if everyone liked themselves, then the world be a better place.

Is anyone else royally confused?

I have discovered that being myself completely and unapologetically is what makes me happy. It has taken a lot of time, a lot of ups and downs, but I am finally accepting myself for who I am. Sure, I work to change the parts I don't like - because I want to, not because someone says I should.

Accepting myself gives me confidence. So does feeling pretty. And we all deserve to feel confident and pretty.

What makes me feel pretty:

//  a good hair day

// freshly shaved legs

// when I catch Shawn staring at me in a crowd

// a pair of jeans that hug my bum just right

// being a hot, sweaty mess after a workout

// when my hazel eyes appear more green than brown

// wearing one of my favorite outfits, even if it's just a t-shirt and jeans

// having a tan

// when a total stranger gives me a compliment

// smiling

// having my nails painted {which I rarely do}

// being truly happy


What makes you feel pretty?

14 comments:

Cheri @ Overactive Blogger said...

A pretty dress makes me feel pretty!

Jordan @ All The Small Things said...

first of all, you ARE pretty, so just ignore whatever stupid society things say otherwise, so as to help with the confusion. ;)

and then....i am with you 100%. it's a really weird paradox that we as women get to live with every day, isn't it?? society is stupid. ugh.

and lastly, to answer your question, I feel prettiest in lulu workout clothes.. i don't know why, but it's true. maybe because it's so comfortable? and there might be a possibility i am going to steal this post idea because it's awesome. :)

Because of Jackie said...

This is a good one! I feel pretty with my hair freshly done, lipstick on, or when my husband stares at me longer than usual and smiles;)

Sarah Farris said...

I love your outfit and totally agree with your list! Having a tan (fake in my case) makes me feel great. It usually comes down to the way my husband looks at me that makes me feel beautiful. I can be sick and stuck in bed, yet feel so pretty and feminine because of the love in his eyes!

Jacqueline said...

I love this post! I think it's so important to not always be tearing ourselves and others down and to acknowledge that sometimes we do feel good and do look good! And you look gorgeous in your photos women!

Brianne Bracco said...

I don't know what it is about freshly shaved legs...even when I'm wearing a maxi or pants and no one can see anyway....I still feel extra sassy and strut it a little more that day haha

Micah said...

I love this. I'm totally stealing this for tomorrow. I'll give you a nod. :)

Samantha Curtis said...

I love this; a good outfit and being tan are always good ones :) and when I straighten my hair or my curls look good ;)

Rachel Emily said...

A great outfit and tan go a long way in my book too. You are gorgeous inside too so that always helps :)

Mary said...

Great post! I love your outfit, too - nice choices!!

When I catch Andrew looking at me I feel pretty :)

Mary (Modern Mermaid Tales) said...

I love this! I was thinking today that I "need" to be thinner, have a tan, etc. But as long as I feel pretty, that is all that matters. Great post!

Lauren @ Lot Forty Eight said...

I am totally with you you can't be confident without being conceded and it's so annoying! I feel pretty when I am getting ready for th da

Janna Renee said...

If we can't accept and love ourselves as we are, we will never find happiness with ourselves! We are allowed to feel pretty!

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...