Wednesday, August 13, 2014

my favorite robin williams movie

 photo Robin-Williams_zpsbeb2f094.jpg

For as long as I can remember - and I'm guessing for as long as many of you can remember - Robin Williams has been a part of my life. My parents always made reference to Mork and Mindy when I was growing up. And his movies have graced my television screen frequently throughout my life. He's made me laugh, cry and think.

There is one movie that Robin Williams starred in that is one of my favorite movies ever. Good Will Hunting. I could watch it over and over. If you've not seen it - I highly recommend it. Obviously. Williams {Sean} plays a psychologist, who helps Damon {Will}, a genius with a gift for mathematics and a janitor at MIT, find direction in his life. I had to watch this movie during one of my first grad school mental health counseling classes. I'm pretty sure I'd seen it before then, but it did not resonate with me like it did in that class, in that grad school program. At that time in my life. Like it does now.

The doctor-patient relationship, while unethical at times, is inspiring and intriguing. The dialogue is intelligent and thought-provoking. Here are some of my favorite quotes from Williams in the movie:

// "Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself."

// "You'll have bad times, but it'll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren't paying attention to."

// "You're not perfect, sport, and let me save you the suspense: this girl you've met, she's not perfect either. But the question is whether or not you're perfect for each other."

// "People call those imperfections, but no, that's the good stuff."

// "You'll never have that kind of relationship in a world where you're afraid to take the first step because all you see is every negative thing 10 miles down the road."

And this office scene and this park bench scene are my favorite moments in the movie. They are two very powerful, relationship changing points of the movie. This movie is full of great scenes. The acting by Williams and Damon was incredible, in my opinion. Seriously, if you haven't seen it, you gotta watch it.

Since the news of Williams' death, the park bench in Boston where Williams and Damon shot the scene in the clip above has now turned into a memorial for the actor. The sidewalks are littered with Williams' most famous movie quotes. Breaks my heart.

I personally have not battled depression, but I have learned from and about people who have. I do not pretend to know what living with that disease is like, but I strive to understand by opening my mind and my ears to the experiences of others. I strive to gain knowledge in order to be a source of support for those who are hurting, struggling. Williams' death prompted a sorority sister of mine to tell her story. I hope more people will share their stories and seek help. I also hope that Williams' death, while heartbreaking, sheds new light on mental illness and changes the way people think about it. We do not know the battles others are fighting. So be kind. Offer support. Seek to understand, not judge.

4 comments:

Shybiker said...

Nice tribute, Holly. And you have good judgment. "GWH" won Robin an Oscar (for Best Supporting Actor). It's one of my favorite films.

I admire Robin's dramatic work. "Moscow On The Hudson" is good, too. His early death is so sad.

Krystal R. said...

Lovely post. What a great loss :(

Janna Renee said...

RIP Robin...he really did become a part of all of our lives. Glad this is bringing awareness and not just loss.

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...