Thursday, August 7, 2014

what makes you stand out?

 photo Bean1_zps57cb59be.jpg

I love toddlers. They have the cutest voices and laughs; they wear tiny, adorable clothes; they say the darnedest things; and they, quite frankly, don't give a shit. They don't worry about their hair, if their clothes are trendy, or really if people like them. They are unapologetically themselves.

Then somewhere around middle school they are introduced to popularity, and that bitch total sucks the carefree innocence right out of them. I don't know about you, but in middle school, all I cared about was fitting in. Finding my place among the all the other walking prepubescent hormones, making sure to wear the right Abercrombie and American Eagle duds. Then high school hits, and while everyone wants to fit in with the popular crowd, everyone wants to be a little bit different. But what the hell does that mean? Who the hell are we anyway?

Thank God for college! The place to truly find yourself and be an individual. The place where being who you want to be or who you really are is highly encouraged. The place where standing out means finding your place in this world.

So what makes you stand out? 

This is a really tough question for me to answer. I really thought I knew where this post was going when I started typing, but I'm not even sure if I can answer my own question. Of course, we're all different, but what makes me stand out?

When I really think about it, the truth is that I'm not all that different from the next gal. I started thinking of the different aspects of my personality and the things that define me, but in all reality, many people could say the same thing.

I think what makes me stand out is just how I embrace being me. It's waking up every day and accepting myself for who I am. It's how I test the limits of myself. It's how I face my fears and take chances. It's how I live this life, in this body, with this mind. It's how I am me - unapologetically.

And just a quick update on my summer bucket list:

 photo 91841246-d062-4feb-a2af-339a5c776541_zpse268fcce.jpg

1 // Wear the above pair of pants as much as possible. Still digging the palazzo pants craze.

2 // Visit three Ohio wineries with Shawn.When we were in Chicago last month, we found this cute little wine shop called Eno on Michigan Ave. Not in Ohio and not technically a winery, but I'm counting it. And Shawn and I are attending the Arthritis Foundation's Wine & Dine event on August 21 {get $25 off your tickets with code "heyhollywood"} - again, not a winery, but still a pace to taste a lot of different wines.

3 // Enjoy every moment of my girls' trip to California. This is SO done. It was an amazing trip!

4 // Read four books. Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Ann Fowler and If I'm Missing or Dead: A Sister's Story of Love, Murder and Liberation by Janine Latus. The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. And right now I'm reading Hidden Agendas by Lora Leigh.

5 // Go to one summer festival in Columbus. I went to DigFest at the Grandview Yard in June. Check out more festivals and events happening in Columbus this summer at Experience Columbus.

6 // Go canoeing or kayaking.

7 // Try something new...like rock climbing or hiking or skydiving. My family is taking a long weekend to Deer Creek State Park in southern Ohio next weekend, and I'm hoping that there will be some hiking involved.

8 // Learn a new photography skill.

9 // Work out five times a week. I'm back on the T25 train weekday mornings at 6 a.m. I'm following this schedule.

10 // Go to a country concert. I'm going to see Toby Keith at the Lima County Fair in a couple weeks.

11 // Finish decorating at least one room in our house. {We redid our fireplace remodel in the living room, which is a good start. And I just ordered a pouf for our new leather chair in that room!}

12 // Spend more days outdoors than in. We are still loving our new deck, and we walk our pups nearly every day to soak up as much of the remaining days of summer as possible.

13 // Watch the sun rise and spend a night laying under the stars. Shawn and I have two bonfires and we've enjoyed a game night on the deck with friends. I see the sun rise between hitting snooze each morning - does that count?

14 // Try a new adult beverage. Check out this recipe I made using ByeJoe Red.

15 // Invite myself onto someone's boat for a day. Any takers?!

Don't forget to enter to win a $40 shop credit to InBloom Boutique.

5 comments:

bumpandrun chat said...

Hmmm, excellent question! I was always so afraid of standing out when I was younger, that I never thought about it as a positive thing. Thanks for the fresh view, it's time for me to think about it! Cute pic by The Bean btw. Isn't that thing awesome? ~Ree

Because of Jackie said...

Shoot, I need an August busker list! Great post idea;) As for what makes me stand out? That's a good question…hmmmmmm. I think I'm good in emergencies and can always be counted on, and I'd like to think I'm a positive force in my friends' lives….I rarely say anything negative.

Shybiker said...

What a fun post. Your description of growing up is so accurate. And your list of activities is very cool. Regarding new things to try, would you ever get on a motorcycle?!

Krystal R. said...

What a good question! I think I need to ask myself this more often!

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...