Wednesday, September 3, 2014

when things don't go as planned

On Monday, I tweeted this:
Yesterday morning, I woke up in a panic because I put all the chicken in each of the freezer bags UNCOOKED. I'm pretty sure that's not how freezer meals work. The meat has to be cooked before freezing, right?!

So I decided that I would thaw the meals last night, take out the uncooked chicken and replace it with cooked chicken. All day though I was thinking that the uncooked chicken had contaminated the other food in the freezer bags. Then I thought, "nah, it's OK." But it continued to nag me and then Shawn said it out loud when I returned home with the canned chicken, and long story short, I ended up dumping all three meals into the garbage disposal {and then almost breaking said disposal when I put a whole piece of chicken down it in my haste}.

Not. One. Word.

Listen, I will be the first to admit that I'm not great in the kitchen, nor do I enjoy it. But I enjoy eating and was all "hey, freezer meals sound like a good idea for quick and easy dinners when I get home from a long day." So wrong. So, so wrong.

So what happens when Shawn and my dinner doesn't go as planned? We grill burgers. And sweet potato fries. And what happened the one time Shawn tried to grill burgers in the dark {mind you the man is color blind anyway}, and he brings them inside only to realize the cow is practically still alive? We order pizza.

Thank goodness these incidents did not occur on the same night. I was already in rare form because I was so pissed at myself about the uncooked chicken and dumping $50 worth of food down the disposal. And I just realized, as I typed that last sentence, that I am still a little pissed about it.

On the bright side, I have plenty of chicken to make shredded chicken sandwiches for the football party we may have for the Ohio State game this weekend. Bless those silver linings.

But DO NOT get me started about paying the collection fees due to the previous owners of our home not paying their final month of HOA fees before moving out. Mind you, they racked up triple the amount we typically pay for HOA fees in a quarter. Thanks for the housing warming gift, assholes. But like I said, don't get me started.

Anyway, when things don't go as planned, Shawn and I figure that shit out. And we drink.

15 comments:

Because of Jackie said...

Oh my, this sounds exactly like something I would do! I am a little….challenged int he kitchen, and sometimes in one step forward and two steps back for me int here;) And that HOA fee crap? So ridiculous! Extra wine tonight? ;)

Margaret said...

haha definitely sounds like something I would do. And all the wine. Definitely helps.

Erin LFF said...

So this is probably not the time you want to hear that you CAN put uncooked meat in the freezer meals, right?! That's how I do the majority of mine!!

Brianne Bracco said...

I can't even tell you how many times we have had this happen...I burn the crap out of it, don't follow instructions right, or it just plain tastes like crap. Haha...the phrase in our house when things don't go right, "There is always pizza." And boy do we eat a lot of pizza. ;)

Cece said...

I'd be so pissed too!! Food 'aint cheap. Especially chicken & beef!! Guess you gotta just move on. I'm terrible in the kitchen. I don't enjoy it either. I'm missing that gene. Those people who left you with the bill suck but what sucks even more is HOA's. Hate 'em!!

Sarah said...

We have started baking chicken breasts on Sunday nights for our lunches throughout the week and TWICE now we've left them out overnight, forgotten to put them up and had to throw them away. I was NOT happy.

lil desiqua said...

All the best intentions! Haha, I have definitely done this, and then I feel guilty trashing it. But that's a great silver lining! And say whaaat? How can they move out without making the final payment? Why weren't they billed at wherever they moved to? That's redic!

bumpandrun chat said...

That sucks!!! In those situations I find it best to order a pizza and crack open a big ass bottle of wine! ;) ~Ree

Ashley @ A Cute Angle said...

I'm terrible in the kitchen too. I think you did the right thing by getting rid of it all. Grilling burgers never fails!
HOAs BLOW. I could never do it!

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

srjones03 said...

I guess it depends on what you are cooking. I've made several freezer meals with raw chicken and all of the other ingredients. But, the cooking instructions are always to put in a crock pot for 6+ hours. It does really suck to throw food away though - I feel you there. Just make that glass of wine a little bigger and it might make up for it :)

Him & Me (But Mostly Me) said...

Ohhh that's a good idea to freeze food. My friend did this and then she put it all in the crock pot in the morning so it's ready after work. It worked well for her, I hope to do something similar!

Shybiker said...

Life is hard sometimes, but we learn from our mistakes. Cooking gets better with practice.

Krystal R. said...

haha Im not great in the kitchen either but oh dear hun, you can put uncooked meat in the freezer. Thanks for the laugh today this was too cute.

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

"And we drink." Hello, adult life.

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...