Tuesday, October 7, 2014

my worst vacation: the one we didn't go on and the aftermath

 photo 24229_535612147335_1463297_n_zps1f0ee92f.jpg

For the record, the worst vacation I've had was the one Shawn and I didn't take. We got married on August 8, 2009, and were scheduled to take our honeymoon a week later to Flamingo Beach Resort in St. Maarten, thanks to my grandparents who allowed us to use some of their travel credit. That picture you see above is of us on our honeymoon, just not the honeymoon we had planned in St. Maarten.

It turns out, hurricane season runs from June to November in the Caribbean, with the most peak season being early August through October. You can probably guess where I'm going with this. Let's just say its name was Bill. That bastard of a hurricane was predicted to hit St. Maarten the week of our honeymoon. We watched the weather religiously for the week between our wedding and when we were to leave for paradise, and not wanting to risk being stranded on a beautiful island {what the hell is wrong with us?!}, we decided not to board our flight the night before takeoff.

We apologized profusely to my grandparents because the credit was non-refundable, but as my grandma said, "better safe than swept up in a hurricane sorry." What followed was a battle with Orbitz to rebook our flights to our new honeymoon destination, Cozumel {thanks to our friends who let us use their vacation club credits - wow, we really lucked out in the great family and friends department!}, in late February-early March, which turns out to be the ideal time to escape Ohio and vacation on a beautiful island. Just FYI.

So we were all set to go, except we hadn't received confirmation from the hotel in Cozumel. I call the travel agency that booked said trip to Cozumel, and it turned out the hotel never received our reservation and there was no room at the inn during our schedule honeymoon. Tears, cursing and other angry antics ensued. After collecting myself, I searched for any hotels in Cozumel, because Lord knows Shawn and I weren't going through the charade of rebooking our flights again. Luckily, I found one and booked it on the spot. Whew! Crisis averted.

We boarded our flights in Columbus {after Shawn is searched by TSA prior to boarding. This would happen again on our return trip. I've determined that the TSA doesn't like redheads} on February 27, 2010, nearly eight months after our wedding. Insert giant sigh of relief.

When we arrive at our hotel later that day, the very nice Mexican staff told us that the hotel was overbooked for the evening and now full. Universe 4, Ritters 0. We laughed. I mean, seriously, what else could we do at this point? They put us up in a brand new hotel down the street for the night, and upgraded us to an ocean-view suite for the rest of our trip. Finally, a win for the good guys! Oh, except every room we stayed in on our honeymoon had two double beds in it. Which actually came in handy the day after I won a margarita chugging contest at Senor Frogs, but that's another story.

Needless to say, Shawn and I had a great time on our honeymoon - me soaking up every bit of Mexican sun and he sitting under the nearest umbrella.  

So, my best vacation? Because I had wanted to go for so long, I'd have to say my trip this past summer to California! Sorry, no crazy story - unless you count getting stuck in LA for an extra night alone because of tornadoes in Denver - just amazing seafood and sushi, lots of laughs with my best friends and really pretty pictures.

 photo c396dfbc-f39c-4a9d-8e98-1f44713ec93d_zps48e3b820.jpg

Helene in Between Blogtober

11 comments:

Health, Love & Fire said...

Your honeymoon fiasco sounds a lot like ours. While we had different things go wrong (blood stains on our sheets, dan loosing his wedding ring, having jewelry stolen out of our bags, and dan getting food poisoning) we felt like you guys by the end of the trip, wondering what else could possibly go wrong. Maybe it's good luck though to have a crazy honeymoon story! :)

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

Ahh--terrible! I'm so glad it worked out eventually, but dang, that's a lot!

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

Holy crap I am so sorry you went through all that especially for your honeymoon! I'm sure you guys will always spring for trip insurance going forward ;-)

Cece said...

What a nightmare!! It worked out in the end but wow. I'd have been in hysterics.

Because of Jackie said...

My wedding and honeymoon was almost/mostly ruined by a hurricane, too! A HUGE one rolled through Florida in 2004 and delayed flight school, marriage class, EVERYTHING, and made us late to the wedding, late to get marriage licenses, and we had to postpone our honeymoon to go back to flight school and then move to Miami. We spent the week after our wedding at my mom's house….ROMANTIC;)

Lora said...

That is insane about your honeymoon! The best part about it all is that now you have a crazy story! :)

~ Lora @ Crazy Running Girl

Ashley @ A Cute Angle said...

Uh, that sounds like a nightmare! I would have just wanted to give up and cry!

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

Krista said...

I could never being a crazy bride and having to deal with all of that! So glad you still had a nice honeymoon albeit late!

Janna Renee said...

Oh man! What a hassle to deal with during a wedding! Glad it worked out in the end and you have such generous friends and family!

Rachel Emily said...

Holy cow. Honeymoon nightmare! But a beach is a beach even if it was 8 months later.

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...