Monday, November 3, 2014

5 ways to stay motivated to work out

 photo 5workoutmotivations_zpsa4837dd3.jpg

Growing up, I played sports year-round. There was no off season, which meant I stayed in great shape. When I went to college, I stayed active on the dance team and I cheered for a year. I also visited the gym frequently, so I never gained the Freshman 15. In fact, I only gained a total of five pounds my entire four years of college. However, when I graduated from college, I got lazy. Really lazy. I gained the post-college 15 and then some. When I saw a photo of myself at a tailgate the fall after graduation, I was appalled. My 5'4" frame was puffy - that's seriously the best way to describe it. So I got back to work. I love a good sweat sesh, but it's not always easy to stay motivated to work out. I struggle with it A LOT, but I always say to myself: "be stronger than your excuses!"

Here are five ways I stay motivated to hit the gym:

// Switch it up. I don't know about you, but doing the same workout over and over again gets boring. I am always looking for new moves to incorporate into my workouts or new workouts entirely. I regularly scour Pinterest for ideas {check out my Workouts board}, and I also follow GlistenFit on Instagram. Jessica shares new workout challenges and motivation daily. I also tried T25 this summer - I lasted about a month and a half of the three-month program - and right now, I am doing the two-month PiYo program, which I am loving so far. As of yesterday, I have completed the first month and I started to see results in just two weeks. Don't worry, I'll be sharing my before and after pictures.

// Grab a partner. I have always found it so much easier to workout when I have someone with which to do it. Especially when I run. When I trained for two half marathons, I could not have done it without my running partner, Audra. Having someone to dish with on the trail during long training runs makes it go by quickly. As a cheer coach, I am always doing the workouts with my cheerleaders and fellow coaches. And I often try to get Shawn to workout with me, but he prefers to work out solo. Lame. But I consider it a win when he and I walk the dogs together.

// Focus on the feeling AFTER a workout. I have a shameful habit of thinking about all the reasons not to workout. But when I ignore all of those excuses, I always feel great after a good workout. It's that high, that feeling of accomplishment, of doing something good for my body, that boost of endorphins that I need to focus on. And that I need more of in my life. Working out just makes me feel better - more confident and happier. Who doesn't want more of that in their life?

// Take a class. I love taking fitness classes. Before Shawn and I moved, we had a free gym with free classes in our condo complex. I always felt guilty if I didn't show up, so I rarely missed a class. And I always left feeling motivated. There are so many different fitness classes - my favorites were boot camp, pure barre, spinning and hip hop {this was so much and such a great workout!} - that it's easy to switch up your routine this way. And it's motivating to be in a room full of other people sweating it out.

// Put it on your to-do list. As a person who loves making lists and crossing things off my to-do list, adding a workout helps me make sure to schedule time to get it done. Right now, I have a daily workout schedule posted in my closet, so that I know what I'm in for each day. I have also written them down in my planner as well. I try to get my workouts done in the morning, but that's easier said than done. Lately, I have not been much of a morning person. So, if I skip the morning, I usually work out as soon as I get home from work.

How do you stay motivated to work out?

 photo DSC_0188_zpse444138c.jpg

 photo DSC_0163_zps0982d7eb.jpg
{Exclusive Team Wang x Team H&M jersey: c/o H&M; sweats: Old Navy; shoes: Kohls}

Before you go, take a sneak peek at the new Alexander Wang x H&M collection launching in 250 select H&M stores on November 6. The collection features fashionable sportswear, and, if I'm being honest, most of it is too fashionable for my taste. But there are several items that I do like and could definitely hit the gym in: sport top // reflective leggings // tank top // top with perforated pattern // perforated pattern bikini

7 comments:

Rachel Emily said...

Such great tips! Staying continuously motivated to workout might just be the greatest struggle of my life. Over dramatic but probably true! Clicking over to look at the collection now!

Because of Jackie said...

Um, DYING over that tank as a workout look, love! I do a lot of these things as well, but also find keeping my playlist current and fun motivates me to get out there and run, or to work out with free weights at the gym. I also love class, they always switch them up and it keeps them fresh;)

bumpandrun chat said...

Great tips! I too struggle to stay motivated, and I tend to get bored with the gym very quickly. I'm constantly mixing up my routine to keep my body and mind interested. ~Ree

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

Having a partner helps me so much!

Kay R. said...

Nothing beats the after workout feeling! Thats the truth!

Mary said...

Great tips!! I completely agree!

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...