Friday, December 12, 2014

why you should make a new mistake every day

 photo SNWUST16_zps45b86abd.jpg
{ugly Christmas sweater tee from Skip n' Whistle}

Yesterday, I heard the phrase, "make a new mistake every day." As a perfectionist, making mistakes isn't really my thing. But it's totally my thing because I believe that making mistakes is how we learn. And I've learned a lot. In fact, I would classify myself as a lifelong learner. Apparently, I'm also a walking contradiction.

I'm guessing I'm not alone when I say that there are times I beat myself up over a mistake I've made. Whether racked with guilt, or the thought that I should have known better or just plain feel like an idiot, there are times that I just can't let a mistake go.

We don't get the chance to go back and un-make our mistakes. And even though I find myself dwelling on them more often than I care to admit, I know that the only way forward is to learn from my past mistakes and make new ones.

We all know that the key to making mistakes is to not make the same one twice. Sure, some life lessons drill their point home multiple times, but eventually we catch on, right? Mistakes are part of being human, and alive, and in love, and in relationships, and in the workforce, and getting dressed every morning.

Mistakes are signs that we are trying, that we are growing and changing, that we are learning, that we are living. Why would we want to rob ourselves of the chance to gain knowledge about who we are or are becoming, about other people, about our passions, about the world? Think about how much smarter you are after every mistake you make. I don't know about you, but I'm a friggin' genius.

I love this quote from Billie Joe Armstrong: "Making mistakes is a lot better than doing nothing."

So do something - take a risk, try something new, do that one thing anyway. Sure, you might royally screw up, but you may also succeed, fall in love, get the job, or learn a thing or two. But how will you know if you don't try? 

Just remember to make a new mistake every day. It's the only way to move forward.

8 comments:

Kayla MKOY said...

Absolutely love this!! It's so true. Sometimes (especially at work) I make a silly mistake and while I feel like an idiot afterward, I've learned a new lesson! Thanks for being so honest!

Also, I'm loving your cute outfit!

Because of Jackie said...

Ha, I think I have the mistake thing nailed down! I do like the thought of making mistakes as a means of trying, just as I think that failing at something means he same thing. I like to do stuff that scares me, too, because it means I am pushing my boundaries, and making myself a (hopefully!) better person;)

Erin LFF said...

You have such insightful posts at the most perfect times. Always! I beat myself up over mistakes being a perfectionist as well, but there is so much truth in what you say. I need to do better about just learning from it and moving on :)

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

I love this! At least it means you're doing something!

Shybiker said...

Good point. Rather than wallow in guilt, we should learn and move on. I'm saying this 'cause I need to learn it!

Krista said...

Definitely agree with this! Some of my biggest mistakes (no matter how embarrassing to admit) were also some of my biggest lessons.

Kay R. said...

Great point! Mistakes arent always bad .. lessons to be learnt :)

juty roy said...

Realy Breaking News,Event News,Magazines,Online Newspapers Etc.

Viewe More Link:

Online Newspapers

Free Online TV Stations

Watch live tv channels

Teen Magazines

Animal Magazines

Breaking News

Current Events

Articles and Current Events

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...