Thursday, January 8, 2015

diy: t-shirt on canvas in 4 easy steps

 photo DIYtshirtcanvas_zps0d31d456.jpg

In case you missed this on my Instagram, here's a quick tutorial of the t-shirt on canvas DIY project I completed last week. This might be my favorite DIY project I've ever done. It's so easy, and the result was even better than I had envisioned. I first saw this project on Pinterest {duh}, and thought it would be such a cool thing to do in our basement. So I put it on my winter bucket list, and lo and behold, I actually followed through. Starting the year off with a win. I dig.

Here's how I made my t-shirt on canvas art in four easy steps:

 photo DIYtshirtcanvasstep1_zps62e92774.jpg

STEP 1: Choose your t-shirts and size of your canvas {I used 12x12. I bought a seven pack at Michael's for $10 after using a 50% off coupon}. I made sure that my t-shirt designs fit nicely on the canvas prior to cutting up the shirts. I chose a shirt I wore in high school, Shawn's high school soccer jersey, a college t-shirt {which is where we met, awwww}, one from the high school where I coach cheerleading and t-shirts of our favorite sports teams.

 photo DIYtshirtcanvasstep2_zpsf0ab9252.jpg

STEP 2: I cut the t-shirts in half-separating the front and back-so that there was less fabric to staple through and cut off later {I highly recommend a good pair of scissors, trust me}. I centered the design on the canvas, then flipped the canvas over to staple the shirt to the back of the canvas. I stapled the top first, then the bottom, then each side. I cut off the access fabric so that the canvas would lay flat on the wall when hung.

 photo DIYtshirtcanvasstep3_zps1363d3ac.jpg

STEP 3: Repeat until you feel like your fingers are going to fall off. I blame my crappy scissors.

 photo diytshirtcanvasstep4_zps4c4c4dd6.jpg

STEP 4: Hang them up. We hung ours in our basement {aka man cave} and just used a couple of finishing nails for each canvas.

It really does make for cool wall art, and is a great way to feature t-shirts we liked but didn't wear anymore and t-shirts that hold some significance for us.

6 comments:

Karrine Beasley said...

Great idea, it looks awesome! Will have to keep it in mind :)

Ashley @ A Cute Angle said...

This is such a great idea!! I'll have to do this with my husband's t-shirts once they are wore out!

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

Kay R. said...

great idea and simple too!

Krista M. said...

This is such a great idea and so simple!

Claire | Fashion + Feathers said...

Very cool idea! I love simple crafts that have just a few steps and turn out that well. I may be following in your footsteps in the very near future!

Nguyễn Mạnh Tạo said...

Nạp Tiền ViettelMua Thẻ Điện Thoại Online với các loại The Cao Gia Re

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...