Monday, February 9, 2015

the fitbit effect

 photo simple.b-cssdisabled-png.h4621896b75431a4c9499334fb64c3247.pack_zps1g89cyuf.png

I love that feeling after a good workout, don't you? But as good as that feeling feels, I find it difficult to stay motivated to workout. Taking that first step into the gym-which is in our basement-can be tough. If I don't work out first thing in the morning {which hasn't happened in ages because I always choose sleep over getting up extra early, especially during the week}, then I find that I build myself up for my workout all day long, but as soon as I walk in the door, I talk myself right out of it.

But just over a week ago, something happened. I like to think there is such a thing as The Fitbit Effect. I got a Fitbit Flex, at a significant discount through work by signing up to be a part of a fitness program, and it's changing me. Just wearing my Fitbit makes me want to move more, and I check the Fitbit app obsessively to see my progress. I am actually disappointed if I don't meet my steps goal for the day, and am trying to find ways to move more especially at work since I sit at a desk all day long.

I'm also finding it helpful that a couple of my friends, and Shawn, have Fitbits and we challenge each other daily, or on the weekend like this weekend. I always find it motivating to workout with a friend.

Has anyone else experienced The Fitbit Effect? What motivates you to workout, or maintain your workout routine?

I also just started a new fitness program, Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guide. Go check out the transformation photos! It's a 12-week program, with the option to do an additional 12 weeks, and the workouts are short, but sweaty. The workouts are right up my alley as far as a mixture of using body weight and free weights, as well as cardio. Admittedly, I tend to get bored with programs like this {I recently did PiYo, and I loved it, but was ready to switch it up}, but I think that there is enough variety that it won't feel like I'm doing the same workouts over and over. I'll have to post before and after photos if this goes well ;)

What fitness programs have you found to be effective?


9 comments:

Micah said...

Yes! Seeing the stats on my fitbit definitely encourages me to move more. It also helps when friends who are fitbit users challenge me in a daily or weekly competition. :)

Kay R. said...

I have a polar but thinking about getting the fitbit mainly because the polar had the strap thingy that I couldnt be bothered with.

Because of Jackie said...

I don't have a Fitbit, but I feel like it would be an obsession of I did! I am working on stepping up my fitness goals lately and it feels really good…as does the glass of wen I get at night to celebrate;)

Erin LFF said...

I use a stepcounter and it has helped me SO much! I never realized how much I was sitting/not-moving at my desk job, although DUH, I should have realized it. It keeps me in line and reminds me to get up more often... hey, every little bit helps!

Jess said...

Every time I wear my Polar watch I become obsessed with outdoing the number of calories I burned the day before. I have to give it a break sometimes!

Alison Brittain said...

The Fitbit effect is totally legit, it happened for me too!!

Ali said...

I LOVE my Fitbit! And the Fitbit effect is definitely a real thing - I get so angry when I don't hit my personal goal. It's made me a lot more aware of how little I move some days.

Audra said...

Yay for Kayla! Week 6 is.... well, I don't want to scare you. Hahaha! These workouts are no joke, that's for sure.

Steph G said...

I love my fitbit. I signed up for the app Pact where you can actually bet money to hit your 10,000 steps on fitbit. It's not a ton of money, but it makes it a little better even :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...